Parallel algorithms for priority queue operations
This paper presents parallel algorithms for priority queue operations on a p-processor EREW-PRAM. The algorithms are based on a new data structure, the Min-path Heap (MH), which is obtained as an extension of the traditional binary-heap organization. Using an MH, it is shown that insertion of a new item or deletion of the smallest item from a priority queue of n elements can be performed in O log n/p + log log n) parallel time, while construction of an MH from a set of n items takes O(n/p+log n) time. The given algorithms for insertion and deletion achieve the best possible running time for any number of processors p, with p ∈ O(log n/log log n), while the MH construction algorithm employs up to Θ(n/log n) processors optimally.
KeywordsAnalysis of Algorithms Data Structures Heaps Parallel Algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.Auerbuch and Y.Shiloach, New Connectivity and MSF Algorithms for Ultracomputer and PRAM, in: Proc. of the 1983 Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing (1983) 298–319.Google Scholar
- 2.J.Biswas and J.C.Browne, Simultaneous Update of Priority Structures, in: Proc. of the 1987 Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing (1987) 124–131.Google Scholar
- 3.T.H.Cormen, C.E.Leiserson and R.L.Rivest, Introduction to Algorithms (MIT Press, Cambridge Mass., 1990).Google Scholar
- 4.J.M.Driscoll, H.V.Gabow, R.Shrairman and R.E.Tarjan, Relaxed Heaps: An Alternative to Fibonacci Heaps with Applications to Parallel Computation, Communications of the ACM 31(11) (1988) 1343–1354.Google Scholar
- 5.R.M.Karp and V.Ramachandran, Parallel Algorithms for Shared-Memory Machines, in: J.van Leeuween, ed., Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Volume A: Algorithms and Complexity (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990) 870–941.Google Scholar
- 6.S.Olariu and Z.Wen, An Optimal Parallel Construction Scheme for Heap-like Structures, in: Proc. Twenty-eight Allerton Conf. on Communication, Control, and Computing (1990) 936–937.Google Scholar
- 7.V.N.Rao and V.Kumar, Concurrent Access of Priority Queues, IEEE Trans. on Computers C-37(12) (1988) 1657–1665.Google Scholar
- 8.V.N.Rao and W.Zhang, Building Heaps in Parallel, Information Processing Letters 37 (1991) 355–358.Google Scholar
- 9.W.Zhang and R.Korf, Parallel Heap Operations on EREW PRAM, in: Proc. Sixth Int. Parallel Processing Symp. (1992) 315–318.Google Scholar