Synchronization of multimedia data streams in open distributed environments
This paper presents a study of synchronization mechanisms for real-time video, audio and text data streams. Synchronization is an important and complex issue when multimedia information, stored at geographically distributed locations, has to be transported to an end-system for presentation via various communication channels.
In this paper we briefly review the characteristics of multimedia data streams and the requirements that a network should support for these multimedia systems. An overview of synchronization mechanisms is presented and their applicability in an open distributed environment is discussed. Also the positioning of the synchronization mechanism in the OSI Reference Model is indicated.
KeywordsData Stream Virtual Channel Synchronization Problem Synchronization Mechanism Synchronization Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BLA91]G. Blair, D. Hutchinson, D. Shepherd (Lancaster University) Tutorial 4: ‘Multimedia Systems’ 3rd IFIP Conference on High Speed Networking, Berlin March 91.Google Scholar
- [DOM91]G. Domann, ‘Two Years of Experience with Broadband ISDN Field Trial', IEEE Communications Magazine, January 1991.Google Scholar
- [HEH90]D. Hehmann, M. Salmony, H. Stuettgen, ‘Transport services for multimedia applications on broadband networks', Butterworth & Co, vol.13 no.4, May 1990.Google Scholar
- [HOP91]A. Hopper, ‘Design of High-speed networks in Multimedia Applications, 3rd IFIP WG6.4 Conference on High Speed Networking, Berlin March 91.Google Scholar
- [LIT90a]T.D.C. Little, A.Ghafoor, 'synchronization and Storage Models for Multimedia Objects', IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications, vol.8 no.3, April 1990.Google Scholar
- [LIT90b]T.D.C. Little, A.Ghafoor, ‘Network Considerations for Distributed Multimedia Object Composition and Communication', IEEE Network Magazine, November 1990.Google Scholar
- [MAS91]S. Masaki, ‘Personal Multimedia-multipoint Teleconference system for Broadband ISDN', 3rd IFIP Conference on High Speed Networking, Berlin March 91.Google Scholar
- [NIC90]C. Nicolaou, ‘An Architecture for Real-time Multimedia Communication Systems', IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications, vol.8 no.3, April 1990.Google Scholar
- [POS88]J.Postel et.al, ‘An experimental multimedia mail system', ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, vol.6 no.1, January 1988.Google Scholar
- [RAY90]M. Raynal, J. Helary, 'synchronization and Control of Distributed Systems and Programs', Wiley series in parallel computing, 1990.Google Scholar
- [SCH90]G. Schuermann, U. Holzmann-Kaiser, ‘Distributed Multimedia Information Handling and Processing', IEEE Network Magazine, November 1990.Google Scholar
- [SHE90]D. Shepherd, M. Salmony, ‘Extending OSI to Support Synchronization Required by Multimedia Applications', Computer Communications, vol.13 no.7, Pages 399–406, September 1990.Google Scholar
- [STE90]R. Steinmetz, 'synchronization Properties in Multimedia Systems', IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications, vol.8 no.3, April 1990.Google Scholar