Providing problem explanation for ITS
This paper describes a problem solving model and a problem explanation facility. Mastering the use of a solution method plays a crucial role in the progress of human problem solving capability. Our research aims at accomplishing an ITS which assists a student to master the use of a solution method. A student who can solve an example problem cannot always solve any exercise problems. Thus it becomes important to explain the equivalence between the two problems. In order to realize the explanation, we propose a problem solving model referred to as MIPS which provides a framework and vocabularies for describing the process of solution method selection. A problem solving module and a problem explanation module have been already implemented based on MIPS. The problem solving module is capable of solving several kinds of arithmetical word problems. Moreover, it describes the process of solution method selection. The problem explanation module derives the problem explanation from the description.
KeywordsSolution Method Word Problem Typical Problem Tutor System Retrieval Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Hirashima, T. et al., 1989]Hirashima, T., Y. Nakamura, M. Ikeda, R. Mizoguchi and J. Toyoda., “A Cognitive Model for ITS — Problem Understanding and Problem Solving-”, Technical Report of Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, SIG-KBS-8902-3, pp. 21–30, 1989(in Japanese).Google Scholar
- [Hirashima, T. et al., 1990]Hirashima, T., Y. Nakamura, M. Ikeda, R. Mizoguchi and J. Toyoda., “A Cognitive Model for ITS”, Proc. of ARCE, pp. 141–147, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Hirashima, T. et al., 1992a]Hirashima, T., Y. Nakamura, M. Ikeda, R. Mizoguchi and J. Toyoda., “MIPS: A Problem Solving Model for ITS”, Journal of Japanese Society for Artificail Intelligence, Vol.7, No.3(to appear.in Japanese).Google Scholar
- [Hirashima, T. et al., 1992b]Hirashima, T., T. Kohno, A. Kashihara, and J. Toyoda, “Development of Support Facilites for Exercising Arithmetical Word Problems in ITS”, Trans. of IEICE, Vol. J75-A, No.2, pp. 296–304, 1992 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- [Kahney, H., 1986]Kahney, H., Problem Solving: A Cognitive Approach, The Open University, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Mizoguchi, R. et al., 1989]Mizoguchi, R., M. Ikeda., “Toward a Generic Framework for ITS”, ASCILITE-89, pp.53–72, 1989.Google Scholar
- [O'shea, T., 1990]O'shea, T.(Ed.)., Guided Discovery Tutoring, Paul Chapman Publishing, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Sleeman, D. et al., 1982]Sleeman, D. and J.S. Brown(Eds.)., Intelligent Tutoring Systems, Academic Press, London, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Wenger, E., 1987]Wenger, E., Artificial Intelligence and Tutoring Systems, Morgan Kaufmmann Publishers, Los Altos, 1987.Google Scholar