Proving geometry statements of constructive type
This paper presents a method to generate non-degenerate conditions in geometric form for a class of geometry statements of constructive type, called Class C. We prove a mathematical theorem that in the irreducible case, the non-degenerate conditions generated by our method are sufficient for a geometry statement in Class C to be valid in metric geometry. About 400 among 600 theorems proved by our computer program are in Class C.
KeywordsGeometry theorem proving Wu's method non-degenerate condition generally true constructive geometry statement Euclidean geometry metric geometry algebraically closed field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.C. Chou, “Proving Elementary Geometry Theorems Using Wu's Algorithm”, in Automated Theorem Proving: After 25 years, Ed. By W.W. Bledsoe and D. Loveland, AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series 29 (1984), 243–286.Google Scholar
- S.C. Chou, “Proving and Discovering Theorems in Elementary Geometries Using Wu's Method”, PhD Thesis, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas, Austin (1985).Google Scholar
- S.C. Chou, Mechanical Geometry Theorem Proving, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 1988.Google Scholar
- S. C. Chou and X. S. Gao, “Ritt-Wu's Decomposition Algorithm and Geometry Theorem Proving”, in Proceedings of CADE-10, Lecture Notes in AI, Vol. 449, 207–220, 1990.Google Scholar
- S.C. Chou and X.S. Gao, “A Class of Geometry Statements of Constructive Type and Geometry Theorem Proving”, TR-89-37, Computer Sciences Department, The University of Texas at Austin, November, 1989.Google Scholar
- S.C. Chou, “A Geometry Theorem Prover for Macintoshes”, TR-91-8, Computer Sciences Department, The University of Texas at Austin, March, 1991.Google Scholar
- S.C. Chou and W.F. Schelter, “Proving Geometry Theorems with Rewrite Rules”, Journal of Automated Reasoning, 2(4) (1986), 253–273.Google Scholar
- D. Kapur, “Geometry Theorem Proving Using Hilbert's Nullstellensatz”, in Proceedings of the 1986 Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, 202–208.Google Scholar
- B. Kutzler and S. Stifter, “Automated Geometry Theorem Proving Using Buchberger's Algorithm”, in Proceedings of the 1986 Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, 209–214.Google Scholar
- Wu Wen-tsün, “On the Decision Problem and the Mechanization of Theorem Proving in Elementary Geometry”, Scientia Sinica 21 (1978), 157–179.Google Scholar
- Wu Wen-tsün, “Basic Principles of Mechanical Theorem Proving in Geometries”, J. of Sys. Sci. and Math. Sci. 4(3), 1984, 207–235, republished in Journal of Automated Reasoning 2(4) (1986), 221–252.Google Scholar
- Wu Wen-tsün, Basic Principles of Mechanical Theorem Proving in Geometries, (in Chinese) Peking 1984.Google Scholar