Performance driven k-layer wiring
Given a grid based wire layout, the objective of the layer assignment problem we investigate in this paper is to minimize the interconnect delay by taking into account the conductivity of interconnection wires and vias. For MOS circuits with two or more layers for interconnections, the problem is shown to be NP-hard. It remains NP-hard for the case of two layers having the same conductivity (PDW(=)2) and for the case of two layers with extremely different conductivities (PDW(≠)2). However, PDW(≠)2 can be reduced to a generalized flow problem which gives hope of good approximating heuristics not only for PDW(≠)2 but also for the general problem. PDW(≠)2 can be solved in polynomial time when the routing grid is sufficiently fine.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.J. Ciesielski. Layer assignment for VLSI interconnect delay minimization. IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design, CAD-8(6):702–707, June 1989.Google Scholar
- A.V. Goldberg, E. Tardos, and R.E. Tarjan. Network flow algorithms. Technical Report 860, School of Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-7501, September 1989.Google Scholar
- M. Kaufmann and P. Molitor. Minimal stretching of a layout to ensure 2-layer wirability. INTEGRATION, the VLSI Journal, December 1991. 14 pages.Google Scholar
- M. Kaufmann, P. Molitor, and W. Vogelgesang. Performance driven k-layer wiring. Technical Report TR-14/1990, Sonderforschungsbereich 124 VLSI Entwurfsmethoden und Parallelität, Fachbereich Informatik, Universität des Saarlandes, Im Stadtwald, W-6600 Saarbrücken 11, FRG, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Kolla, P. Molitor, and H.G. Osthof. Einführung in den VLSI-Entwurf. Leitfäden und Monographien der Informatik. B.G. Teubner Verlag, Stuttgart, 1989.Google Scholar
- Y.S. Kuo, T.C. Chern, and W. Shih. Fast algorithm for optimal layer assignment. In Proceedings of the 25th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC88), pages 554–559, June 1988.Google Scholar
- K. Mehlhorn. Data Structures and Algorithms 2: Graph Algorithms and NP-Completeness. EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokio, 1984.Google Scholar
- P. Molitor. On the contact minimization problem. In Proceedings of the 4th Annual Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS87), pages 420–431, February 1987.Google Scholar
- P. Molitor. A survey on wiring. EIK Journal of Information Processing and Cybernetics, EIK 27(1):3–19, 1991.Google Scholar
- N.J. Naclerio, S. Masuda, and K. Nakajima. Via minimization for gridless layouts. In Proceedings of the 24th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC87), pages 159–165, June 1987.Google Scholar
- R. Pinter. Optimal layer assignment for interconnect. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Computers, pages 398–401, September 1982.Google Scholar
- P. Raghavan. Probabilistic construction of deterministic algorithms: Approximating packing integer programs. In Proceedings of the 27th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 10–18, 1986.Google Scholar
- J. Rubinstein, P. Penfield, and M.A. Horowitz. Signal delay in rc networks. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design, CAD-2:202–210, July 1983.Google Scholar