Interval approximations of message causality in distributed executions
In this paper we study timestamping for the dynamic analysis of events ordering in message-passing systems. We use the partial order theory to shed new light on classical timestamping algorithms. Consequently we present a new stamp technique based on a special class of order: interval orders. This technique gives better results than the Lamport's logical clocks for the same cost. Lastly we characterize executions for which our timestamping is optimum.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Charron-Bost. Concerning the size of logical clocks in distributed systems. Information Processing Letters, 39(1):11–16, July 1991.Google Scholar
- W.A. Cook, M. Kress, and M. Seiford. An axiomatic approach to distance on partial orderings. R.A.I.R.O. Recherche opérationnelle/Operations Research, 20(2):115–122, Mai 1986.Google Scholar
- R.P Dilworth. A decomposition theorem for partially ordered sets. Annals of Math., 51:161–165, 1950.Google Scholar
- J. Fidge. Timestamps in message passing systems that preserve the partial ordering. In Proc. 11th Australian Computer Science Conference, pages 55–66, 1988.Google Scholar
- P.C Fishburn. Interval orders and interval graphs. Wiley, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- L. Lamport. Time, clocks and the ordering of events in a distributed system. Communications of the ACM, 21(7):558–565, July 1978.Google Scholar
- F. Mattern. Virtual time and global states of distributed systems. In Cosnard, Quinton, Raynal, and Robert, editors, Proc. Int. Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Algorithms Bonas, France, Oct. 1988, North Holland, 1989.Google Scholar
- R.H. Möhring. Computationally tractable classes of ordered sets. In Algorithms and Order, pages 105–193, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1989.Google Scholar
- C. H. Papadimitriou and M. Yannakakis. Scheduling interval-ordered task. Siam J. Comput., 8(3):405–409, August 1979.Google Scholar
- J.X. Rampon. Mesures de concurrence et extensions d'intervalles. Ph. D Thesis, University of Montpellier II, February 1991.Google Scholar