A plane-sweep algorithm for finding a closest pair among convex planar objects
Given a set of geometric objects a closest pair is a pair of objects whose mutual distance is smallest. We present a plane-sweep algorithm which finds a closest pair with respect to any LP -metric, 1≤p≤∞, for planar configurations consisting of n (possibly intersecting) compact convex objects such as line segments, circular discs and convex polygons. For configurations of line segments or discs the algorithm runs in asymptotically optimal time O(n log n). For a configuration of n convex m-gons given in a suitable representation it finds a closest pair with respect to the Euclidean metric L2 in time O(n log(n·m)).
Key wordscomputational geometry plane-sweep algorithm closest-pair problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CD 87]B. Chazelle, D. P. Dobkin: Intersection of Convex Objects in Two and Three Dimensions, Journal of the ACM, Vol. 34, No. 1 (1987), 1–27.Google Scholar
- [CW 83]F. Chin, C. A. Wang: Optimal Algorithms for the Intersection and the Minimum Distance Problems between Planar Polygons, IEEE Trans. Comput. 32 (12), 1203–1207 (1983).Google Scholar
- [E 85]H. Edelsbrunner: Computing the Extreme Distances between two Convex Polygons, Journal of Algorithms 6, 213–224 (1985).Google Scholar
- [F 87]S. Fortune: A Sweepline Algorithm for Voronoi Diagrams, Algorithmica 2, 153–174 (1987).Google Scholar
- [HNS 88]K. Hinrichs, J. Nievergelt, P. Schorn: Plane-Sweep Solves the Closest Pair Problem Elegantly, Information Processing Letters 26, 255–261 (1988).Google Scholar
- [L 80]D. T. Lee: Two-Dimensional Voronoi Diagrams in the Lp-metric, Journal of the ACM 27 (4), 604–618 (1980).Google Scholar
- [PS 85]F. P. Preparata, M. I. Shamos: Computational Geometry: An Introduction, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- [SH 76]M. I. Shamos, D. Hoey: Geometric Intersection Problems, Proc. 17th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 208–215 (1976).Google Scholar
- [S 85]M. Sharir: Intersection and Closest-Pair Problems for a Set of Planar Discs, SIAM J. Comput. 14, 448–468 (1985).Google Scholar
- [Y 87]C. K. Yap: An O(n log n) Algorithm for the Voronoi Diagram of a Set of Simple Curve Segments, Discrete Comput. Geometry 2, 365–393 (1987).Google Scholar