A match operation for rule-based modular system design
The theory of algebraic module specifications treats the interconnection mechanisms for modular system design as operations on modules, the basic ones being composition, union and actualization. Here we introduce yet another operation on module specifications which, under suitable conditions, allows to “compose” two module specifications after specifying only a subpart common to the import of one and the export of the other one. This operation, which generalizes the basic ones, is used in the rule-based approach to the design of modular systems, recently introduced by the second author. In this approach, sequences of derivations which use the interfaces of a given set of modules can be realized by applying the match operation to the modules employed in the derivation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BEPP87]E.K. Blum, H. Ehrig, F. Parisi-Presicce, Algebraic Specification of Modules and their Basic Interconnections, J. Comp. System Sci. 34, 2/3 (1987) 239–339Google Scholar
- [COMP89]B.Krieg-Bruckner, ed., A Comprehensive Algebraic Approach to System Specification and Development, ESPRIT BRWG 3264, Univ. Bremen, Bericht 6/89Google Scholar
- [Ehr79]H. Ehrig, Introduction to the Algebraic Theory of Graph Grammars, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. 73 (1979) 1–69Google Scholar
- [EFPB86]H. Ehrig, W. Fey, F. Parisi-Presicce, E.K. Blum, Algebraic Theory of Module Specifications with Constraint, invited, Proc MFCS, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. 233(1986) 59–77Google Scholar
- [EHKP90]H.Ehrig, A.Habel, H.-J.Kreowski, F.Parisi-Presicce, Parallelism and Concurrency in High Level Replacement Systems, Tech.Univ.Berlin Technical Report 90-35, submittedGoogle Scholar
- [EM85]H.Ehrig, B.Mahr, Fundamentals of Algebraic Specifications 1: Equations and Initial Semantics, EATCS Monographs on Theoret. Comp. Sci., vol 6, Springer-Verlag 1985Google Scholar
- [EM90]H.Ehrig, B.Mahr, Fundamentals of Algebraic Specifications 2: Module Specifications and Constraints, EATCS Monographs on Theoret. Comp. Sci., vol. 21, Springer-Verlag 1990Google Scholar
- [EPP90]H.Ehrig, F.Parisi-Presicce, Algebraic Specifications Grammars, to appear in Proc. 4th Intern. Workshop on Graph Grammars, Bremen (FRG), 1990Google Scholar
- [EW85]H.Ehrig, H.Weber, Algebraic Specification of Modules, in "Formal Models in Programming" (E.J.Neuhold, G.Chronist, eds.) North-Holland 1985Google Scholar
- [PP86]F. Parisi-Presicce, Inner and Mutual Compatibility of Basic Operations on Module Specifications, Proc. CAAP 86, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. 214 (1986) 30–44. Full Version: Tech.Univ.Berlin Technical Report 86-06, April 1986Google Scholar
- [PP89]F. Parisi-Presicce, Modular System Design applying Graph Grammar Techniques, Proc. 16 ICALP, Lect.Notes in Comp.Sci. 372 (1989) 621–636Google Scholar
- [PP90a]F.Parisi-Presicce, Foundations for a Rule-based Design of Modular Systems, to appear in Theor. Comp.Sci.Google Scholar
- [PP90b]F.Parisi-Presicce, A Rule-Based Approach to Modular System Design, Proc. 12th Int.Conf.Soft.Eng., Nice(France) 1990, 202–211Google Scholar