Coded modulation with convolutional codes over rings
The objective of this work is to present a multilevel convolutional coding method based on rings of integers modulo-m (generally m is a power of 2) which is suitable for Coded Modulation schemes. This new method of coded modulation is proposed because of the similarities between an m-ary phase shift keying modulation and the structure of a ring of integers modulo-m. Tables of multilevel transparent systematic convolutional codes with some of their characteristics are also presented. Finally, curves of decoding performance are shown for some convolutional codes suitable for coded 4-PSK and 8-PSK.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ungerboeck, G., "Channel Coding with Multilevel/Phase Signals", IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, pp. 55–67, Jan. 1982.Google Scholar
- Baldini Filho, R., Pessoa, A. C. F. & Arantes, D. S., "Systematic Linear Codes over a Ring for Encoded Phase Modulation", presented at ISICT'87, International Symposium on Information and Coding Theory, Campinas — SP — Brazil.Google Scholar
- Massey, J. L. & Mittelholzer, T., "Convolutional Codes over Rings", Fourth Joint Swedish-Soviet International Workshop on Information Theory, August 27–SeptemberGoogle Scholar
- Peterson, W. W. & Weldon, E. J., "Error-Correcting Codes", Cambridge, Massachusetts, MIT Press, 1972Google Scholar
- Baldini Filho, R., "Códigos Pseudo-Cíclicos Multiníveis", Annals of 7o Simpósio Brasileiro de Telecomunicações, Sept. 1989, Florianópolis — SC — Brazil, (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- Baldini Filho, R. & Farrell, P. G., "Codes Over A Ring Modulo-m", IEE Colloquium on "Multi-level Modulation Techniques for Point-to-Point and Mobile Radio", London — England, 19 March 1990.Google Scholar
- Baldini Filho, R. & Farrell, P. G., "Coded Modulation with Convolutional over Rings", Second Bangor Symposium on Communications, Bangor — Wales, 23–24 May 1990.Google Scholar