Some ideas about fault-tolerant Chinese Remaindering
We present some algorithms for performing Chinese Remaindering allowing for the fact that one or more residues may be erroneous — we suppose also that an a priori upper bound on the number of erroneous residues is known. A specific application would be for residue number codes (as distinct from quadratic residue codes). We generalise the method of Ramachandran, and present two general algorithms for this problem, along with two special cases one of which uses the minimal number Chinese Remainderings (for two errors), and the other uses 12 compared with the lower bound of 10 Chinese Remainderings. These algorithms are best suited to the case where errors are unlikely; we compare with a method based on continued fractions. Our methods use only the standard Chinese remaindering operation and equality testing of the reconstructed values.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B&M73]Barsi F & Maestrini P “Error Correcting Properties of Redundant Residue Number Systems”, IEEE TR Comp C-22, pp 307–315. Mar 1973Google Scholar
- [B&M74]Barsi F & Maestrini P “Error Detection and Correction by Product Codes in Residue Number Systems”, IEEE Tr Comp C-23, pp 915–923 Sep 1974Google Scholar
- [H&W79]Hardy G H & Wright E M, “An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers”, Clarendon Press, Oxford 1979Google Scholar
- [Mandelbaum72]Mandelbaum D, “Error Correction in Residue Arithmetic”, IEEE Tr Comp vol C-21, pp 538–545. June 1972Google Scholar
- [Mandelbaum82]Mandelbaum D, “Decoding of Erasure and Errors for Certain RS Codes by Decreased Redundancy”, IEEE Trans Inf Thy IT-28 pp 330–336Google Scholar
- [Ramachandran83]Ramachandran V, “Single residue error correction in residue number systems”, IEEE Tr Comp vol C-32, pp 504–507. May 1983Google Scholar
- [Stone63]Stone J J, “Multiple Burst Error Correction with the Chinese Remainder Theorem”, J. SIAM vol 11(1) pp 74–81, March 1963Google Scholar
- [Y&L73]Yau S & Liu Y “Error Correction in Redundant Residue Number Systems”, IEEE Tr Comp C-22, pp 5–11. Jan 1973Google Scholar