Development of a method driven CAS2E tool
The development of the current complex embedded computer systems and their software requires very advanced methods and computer based tools. The development of such tools requires coherent supporting methods. It is very difficult to develop generic tools supporting different methods. IAI — Israel Aircraft Industries, developed ECSAM, a method for the analysis of such systems and provided financial support fot the initial development phases of Statement, a tool designed to support the method.
This paper briefly describes the ECSAM method and some aspects of Statemate. It describes the historical highlights of the development of the method and the tool and discusses the problems associated with their dissemination and the lessons learned.
Index TermsDesign CASE Computer Based Systems Engineering Dynamic ECSAM Embedded Computer Systems Executable specifications Multi-systems Reactive Systems Event Driven Systems Requirements Software Specification Statemate Statecharts Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- HARE87.Harel, D., “Statecharts: A Visual Formalism for Complex Systems”, Science of Computer Programming 8 (1987) pp. 231–274, North-Holland.Google Scholar
- HARE88.Harel, D., et al “STATEMATE: A Working Environment for the Development of Complex Reactive Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 4, April 1990, pp. 403–414.Google Scholar
- KASK90.Kaskowitz, R., Kuehl, C.S., “Lessons Learned From Selecting and Implementing Advanced Enginering Methods and Tools in an Integrated Computerized Environment”, Procceding of the Computer Based Systems Engineering Workshop organized by the Israel Chapter of the IEEE Computer Society. Neveh Ilan, Israel, May 1990.Google Scholar
- LAVI84.Lavi, J.Z., “A Systems Engineering Approach to Software Engineering”, IEEE Proc. Software Process Workshop, Egham, UK, Feb. 1984, pp. 49–57.Google Scholar
- LAVI86.Lavi, J.Z., Kessler, E., “An Embedded Computer Systems Analysis Method, “in Proceedings of the Israel First Conference on Computer Systems and Software Engineering“ Tel Aviv, June 1986.Google Scholar
- LAV881.Lavi, J.Z., Winokur, M., “Embedded Computer Systems Requirements Analysis & Specification — An Industrial Course”, in “Software Engineering Education — Proceedings of the SEI 1988 Conference”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 327' Springer Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- LAV882.Lavi, J.Z., Winokur, M., Dagan A., Rokach, R., “Multi Level Analysis of Complex Embedded Computer Systems“ in Proceedings of Third Israel Conference on Computer Systems and Software Engineering“ IEEE Computer Society Press order Number 884, June 1988.Google Scholar
- LAVI89.Lavi, J.Z., Winokur, M., “ECSAM — A Method for the Analysis of Complex Embedded Computer Systems & their Software”, Proceedings of the Fifth Structured Techniques Association Conference, Chicago, III., May 1989.Google Scholar
- LAVI91.Lavi, J.Z., Winokur, M., Kudish, J., Gallant, R., “Embedded Computer Systems Specification and Design, The ECSAM Approach”, IAI report, June 1991.Google Scholar
- ROSS85.Ross, D. T., “Applications and Extensions of SADT”, Computer, Vol 18, No, 4, April 1985, pp. 25–35.Google Scholar
- TEIC77.Teichroew, D., Hershey, E.A. III, “PSL/PSA: A Computer Aided Technique for Structured Documentation and Analysis of Information Proceesing Systems”, IEEE Transaction on Software Enginering, January 1977, pp. 41–48.Google Scholar
- WHIT85.White, S. M., Lavi, J. Z., “Embedded Computer System Requirements Workshop”, Computer, Vol. 19, No. 4, April 1985Google Scholar
- WHIT87.White, S., “A Pragmatic Formal Method for Computer System Definition”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Polytechnique University, New York, N.Y., June 1987.Google Scholar
- WINO90.Winokur,M., Lavi, J.Z., Lavi, I., Oz, R., “Requirements Analysis and Specifications of Embedded Computer Systems using ECSAM — a Case Study”, Proceedings of the IEEE CompEuro Conference, May 1990, Tel-Aviv, Israel, pp. 80–89.Google Scholar