Performance analysis of a dynamic query processing scheme
Traditional query optimizers produce a fixed query evaluation plan based on assumptions about data distribution and processor workloads. However, these assumptions may not hold at query execution time. In this paper, we propose a dynamic query processing scheme and we present the performance results obtained by simulation of a queueing network model of the proposed software architecture.
Key Words & Phrasesdatabase machines dynamic query processing performance analysis
1985 Mathematics Subject Classification69C40 69C24 69H24 69H26 69H33
1990 CR CategoriesC.4 C.2.4 H.2.4 H.2.6 H.3.3 I.6.3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CII84]CII Honeywell Bull and INRIA. QNAP2, 1984. Introduction to QNAP2 and Reference Manual.Google Scholar
- [DGS+90]D. J. DeWitt, S. Ghadeharizadeh, D.A. Schneider, A. Bricker, H. Hsiao, and R. Rasmussen. The gamma database machine project. IEEE Transactions On Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2(1), March 1990.Google Scholar
- [ea90]H. Boral et al. Prototyping bubba, a highly parallel database system. IEEE Transactions On Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2(1), March 1990.Google Scholar
- [GW89]Goetz Graefe and Karen Ward. Dynamic query evaluation plans. In Proc. SIGMOD, 1989.Google Scholar
- [KAH+88]M.L. Kersten, P.M.G. Apers, M.A.W. Houtsma, E.J.A. van Kuyk, and R.L.W. van de Weg. A distributed, main-memory database machine; research issues and a preliminary architecture. In M. Kitsuregawa, editor, Database Machines and knowledge Base Machines, pages 353–369, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Kle75]Leonard Kleinrock. Queueing Systems, Theory, volume 1. John Wiley & Sons, 1975.Google Scholar
- [MvRT+90]S.J. Mullender, G. van Rossum, A.S. Tanenbaum, R. Renesse, and H. van Staveren. Amoeba — a distributed operating system for the 1990s. IEEE Computer Magazine, May 1990.Google Scholar