An RMS for temporal reasoning with abstraction
This paper focuses on reasoning with action and time. A framework for representation of activities and time in the form of a dependency network is discussed. While in earlier works an RMS framework has been used for representing actions, our framework captures temporal knowledge also in the network in terms of relations between intervals. This framework thus enables integration of temporal reasoning along with causal reasoning among activities. An algorithm for truth propagation in such a network has been applied to a specific domain and an example illustrating its use in temporal and causal reasoning is provided. Abstraction of activities and states has been done by defining abstract temporal intervals and thus layering the knowledge into various levels. Some relational abstractions which are useful in describing the temporal relationships among activities and facts have also been defined.
KeywordsCausal and Temporal Reasoning Reason Maintenance Systems Representation of Action and Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Allen, 1983]James F. Allen, Maintaining Knowledge about Temporal Intervals, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 26, pp. 832–843, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Allen, 1984]
- [Beetz and Lefkowitz, 1989]Beetz M. and Lefkowitz S. L., Reasoning about Justified Events: A Unified Treatment of Temporal Projection, Planning Rationale and Domain Constraints (An Extended Abstract), MEMO-P-89-21, TA TRIUMPH-ADLER AG, Germany, 1989.Google Scholar
- [de Kleer, 1986]
- [Dholakia et al, 1990]Hitesh N. Dholakia, V. Sundararajan and N. Parameswaran, Truth Propagation in Activity Knowledge-base, Proc. of the Third KBCS Conference, Pune, India, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Doyle, 1979]
- [Jaidev et al, 1990]Jaidev, Tadepalli K. and Parameswaran N., A RMS Based Plan Representation, Proc. of the Third UNB Artificial Intelligence Workshop, Canada, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Koomen, 1989]Johannes A. G. M. Koomen, Reasoning about Recurrence, Doctoral Thesis, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Kulkarni and Parameswaran, 1989]Kulkarni D. and Parameswaran N., Action Representation for Planning using Truth Maintenance System, Proceedings of TENCON-89, The 4th IEEE region 10 International Conference, Bombay, pp. 995–998.Google Scholar
- [Morris and Nado, 1986]Morris P. H. and Nado R. A., Representing Actions with an Assumption-Based Truth Maintenance System, Proc. AAAI-86, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Sathi et al, 1985]Arvind Sathi, Mark S. Fox and Michael Greenberg, Representation of Activity Knowledge for Project Management, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. PAMI-7, No. 5, Sep. 1985.Google Scholar