On the management of remote procedure call transactions
This paper describes the problems arise in managing remote procedure call (RPC) transactions. The structures and constructions of RPC-based systems have been widely discussed, while how to maintain the RPC transactions by using these existing structures and constructions remains unclear. This paper presents a model for maintaining the single and parallel RPC transactions. Some properties of the model are also described.
Key WordsDistributed Computing Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Transaction Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bernstein, P. A., Hadzilacos, V., and Goodman, N., Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Coulouris, G. F. and Dollimore, J., Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Inc., 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Korth, H. F., Kim, W., and Bancilhon, F., “On Long-Duration CAD Transaction,” Information Sciences, ACM, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Lampson, B. W., “Atomic Transactions,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 105, pp. 246–265, Springer-Verlag, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Liskov, B. and Shrira, L., “Promises: Linguistic Support for Efficient Asynchronous Procedure Calls in Distributed Systems,” Proceedings of the SIGPLAN '88 Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, Atlanta, Georgia, June 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Nelson, B. J., “Remote Procedure Call,” Report CSL-81-9, Xerox Palo Alto Research Centre, May 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou, W. and Molinari, B., “A Performance Evaluation Model for Programs Using Remote Procedure Calls,” Australian Computer Science Communications, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 98–109, February 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhou, W., “Transaction Management: An Overview,” Internal Report, Department of Computer Science, The ANU, January 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou, W., “On the Management of Remote Procedure Call Transactions,” Internal Report, Department of Computer Science, The ANU, February 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.Zhou, W., “On The Rapid Prototyping of Distributed Information System Applications,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing and Information, pp. 176–180, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, May, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, W., “Computer-Aided Prototyping of Distributed Programs: A Case Study,” Australian Software Engineering Conference '90, Sydney, Australia, May 1990.Google Scholar