Incremental database design revisited
Three new classes of database schemes are defined. The class of weakly independent schemes is a generalization of independent schemes in a centralized environment. The classes of expansion-chased schemes and simple chase join bounded schemes are aimed at capturing the behaviour of the chase process by a static structure, i.e., derivation sequences of relation schemes. We first present a study on containment relationships among various classes of database schemes, which establishes the generality and desirability of these new classes. We then show that the new classes and the class of algebraic-maintainable schemes can be incrementally designed via a known scheme generating method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [C]E.P.F. Chan, "Optimal computation of total projections with unions of simple chase join expressions," ACM SIGMOD 1984, pp. 149–163Google Scholar
- [CH1]E.P.F. Chan and H.J. Hernandez, "Independence-reducible database schemes," to appear in JACM (An extended abstract appeared under the same title in ACM PODS 1988, pp. 163–173)Google Scholar
- [CH2]E.P.F. Chan and H.J. Hernandez, "On generating database schemes bounded or constant-time-maintainable by extensibility," Acta Informatica, 25, (1988), pp. 475–496Google Scholar
- [G]M.H. Graham, "Path expressions in databases," ACM PODS 1983, pp. 366–378Google Scholar
- [GV]M.H. Graham and M.Y. Vardi, "On the complexity and axiomatizability of consistent database states," ACM PODS 1984, pp. 281–289Google Scholar
- [GW]M.H. Graham and K. Wang, "Constant time maintenance or the triumph of fd's," ACM PODS 1986, pp. 121–141Google Scholar
- [GY]M.H. Graham and M. Yannakakis, "Independent database schemes," JCSS, 28, 1, 1984, pp. 121–141Google Scholar
- [HW]H.J. Hernandez and K. Wang, "On the boundedness of constant-time-maintainable database schemes," submitted to publication, 1989Google Scholar
- [M]A.O. Mendelzon, "Database states and their tableaux," ACM TODS, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 264–282Google Scholar
- [Ma]D. Maier, The theory of relational databases, CSP Inc., 1983Google Scholar
- [U]J.D. Ullman, Principles of database systems, CSP, Inc., 1982Google Scholar
- [W]K. Wang, "Can constant-time-maintainability be more practically useful?" ACM PODS 1989, pp. 120–127Google Scholar
- [WG]K. Wang and M.H. Graham, "Constant-time-maintainability: a generalization of independence," submitted to publication, 1988 (See [GW] for an extended abstract)Google Scholar