On the mean execution time of recursive definitions on relational databases
The execution cost of a regular recursive definition is evaluated in the case where the database relation is represented by means of a forest of labeled oriented trees. The cost is evaluated for all possible types of queries with respect to the binding of the variables in the definition. The mean execution cost is also evaluated, where the mean is computed over all databases representable by forests. Also, a cost reduction technique is investigated—the intermediate storage—and the corresponding execution cost is computed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aho A.V., Hopcroft J.E. and Ullman J.D., The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1975.Google Scholar
- Banchilhon F. and Ramakrishnan R., An Amateur's Introduction to Recursive Query Processing Strategies, Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD conf., p.p. 16–52, 1989.Google Scholar
- Fernandez de la Vega W., Paschos V. Th. and Stafylopatis A. N., On the Mean Execution Time of Recursive Definitions on Relational Databases, Rapport de Recherche no 604, Université de Paris 11, 1990.Google Scholar
- Knuth D.E., The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 1, Fundamental Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- Meir A. and Moon J. W., On the Altitude of Nodes in Random Trees, Canad. J. of Mathematics, Vol. 30, No 5, p.p. 997–1015, 1978.Google Scholar
- Naughton J., Data Independent Recursion in Deductive Databases, Proc. of Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, p.p. 267–279, 1986.Google Scholar
- Naughton J. F., Ramakrishnan R., Sagiv Y. and Ullman J. D., Efficient Evaluation of Right-, Left-and Multi-Linear Rules, Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD conf., p.p. 235–242, 1989.Google Scholar
- Paschos V.Th. and Stafylopatis A.N., Evaluation of the Execution Cost of Recurisve Definitions, The Computer Journal (to appear).Google Scholar
- Rényi A., Some Remarks on the Theory of Trees, Publ. Math. Inst. Hungar. Acad. Sci., Vol.4, p.p. 73–85, 1959.Google Scholar
- Stepanov V. E., On the Distribution of the Number of Vertices in Strata of a Random Tree, Th. Prob. and its Appl., Vol. 14, No 1, p.p. 65–78, 1969.Google Scholar
- Ullman J.D., Principles of Database Systems, Computer Science Press, 1982.Google Scholar