Table-driven Bottom Up Parser in Prolog
Various improvements have been made to the Bottom Up Parser in Prolog (BUP for short), such as speed up of processing time, describability for Extraposition Grammars and idioms and so on.
In this paper, we present another speed up method without spoiling these assets. The original BUP has no particular mechanism to choose one production rule deterministically; however, in our method the parser can restrain the nondeterminism by means of an action table and a lookahead. The principle of our methods is based on the correspondence between BUP and the LC(1) parser. The LC(1) parser can deterministically parse sentences which belong to a class of context free language called LC(1). We apply the parsing method for LC(1) to general context free grammars. The nondeterminism caused by the extension can be managed through the backtracking in the same way as the original BUP. We also present an implementation and experimental results from a practical-sized grammar with 560 production rules.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tanaka,H., Kamiwaki,T., Okumura,M. and Numazaki,H. A Software System LangLAB for Natural Language Processing, Proc. LPC'86, pp.5–12, 1986.Google Scholar
- Matsumoto, Y., et al., BUP — A Bottom-Up Parser Embedded in Prolog, New Generation Computing, Vol.1, No.2, pp.145–158, 1983.Google Scholar
- Konno, S. and Tanaka, H., Processing Left-extraposition in Bottom Up Parsing System, Computer Software, Vol.3, No.2, pp.19–29, 1986.Google Scholar
- Kamiwaki,T. and Tanka,H., Idiom Handling by TRIE Structure Dictionary, Proc. of LPC'85, pp.329–340, 1985.Google Scholar
- Tokunaga, T., Iwayama, M., Kamiwaki, T. and Tanaka, H., Lang LAB: A Natural Language Analysis System, Trans. Inf. Proc. Soc. Japan, Vol.29, No.7, pp.703–771, 1988.Google Scholar
- Tomita, M., An Efficient Augmented-Context-Free Parsing Algorithm, Am.J.Comput. Linguist., Vol.13, No.1–2, pp.31–46, 1987.Google Scholar
- Pereirra,F.C.N., Extraposition Grammars, Am.J.Comput. Linguist. Google Scholar
- Aho,A.V. and Ullman,J.D., The Theory of Parsing, Translation, and Compiling, Volume 1: Parsing, Prentice-Hall, pp.362–367, 1972.Google Scholar
- Sugimura,R., et al., Comparison of Logic Programming based Natural Language Parsing Systems, Preprints Work. Gr.for NL, IPSJ, 57-2,1986.Google Scholar
- Matsumoto, Y. and Sugimura, R., SAX: A Parsing System based on Logic Programming Languages, Computer Software, Vol.3, No.4, pp.4–11, 1986.Google Scholar