Boolean algebra admits no convergent term rewriting system
Although there exists a normal form for the theory of Boolean Algebra w.r.t. associativity and commutativity, the so called set of prime implicants, there does not exist a convergent equational term rewriting system for the theory of boolean algebra modulo AC. The result seems well-known, but no formal proof exists as yet. In this paper a formal proof of this fact is given.
KeywordsBoolean Algebra Term Rewriting Automated Theorem Proving
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hullot, J.M. (1980). A Catalogue of Canonical Term Rewriting Systems. Report CSL-113, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA.Google Scholar
- Hsiang, J. (1985). Refutational Theorem Proving using Term-rewriting Systems. Artificial Intelligence 25, 255–300.Google Scholar
- Knuth, D.E.; Bendix, P.B. (1970). Simple Word Problems in Universal Algebra, in: J. Leech (Ed.): Computational Problems in Universal Algebra, Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Lankford, D.S. & Ballantyne, A.M. (1977). Decision procedures for simple equational theories with a commutative axiom: Complete sets of commutative reductions. Tech. Report, Mathematics Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas.Google Scholar
- Peterson, G.E. & Stickel, M.E. (1981). Complete Sets of Reductions for Some Equational Theories. Journal of the ACM, 28, 233–264.Google Scholar
- Quine, W.V. (1952). The Problem of Simplifying Truth Functions. American Math. Monthly, 59, 521–531.Google Scholar
- Quine, W.V. (1959). On Cores and Prime Implicants of Truth Functions. Am. Math. Monthly, 66, 755–760.Google Scholar
- Rudeanu, S. (1974). Boolean Functions and Equations. North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Slagle, J.R.; Chang, C.L. & Lee, R.C.T. (1970). A New Algorithm for Generating Prime Implicants. IEEE Trans. on Comp. 19/4, 304–310.Google Scholar
- Tison, P. (1967). Generalized Consensus Theory and Application to the Minimization of Boolean Functions. IEEE Trans. on Comp. 16/4, 446–456.Google Scholar