On real-time program specification description with a data model-based language
This article discusses a real-time software specification description using a nonprocedural conceptual data model-based language. In the past several years, extensive studies have been carried out on real-time software specification description languages based on the dynamic aspect of real-time systems: timing and state transition, but few are based on the structural aspect. The control information of real-time systems has been more complicated. Therefore, it is also important to describe the structural aspect in a more comprehensible manner. The authors have been studying a nonprocedural conceptual data model-based language, which helps to describe the structural aspect. The language enables automatic program generation and software reusability. This paper describes how to treat the characteristics of real-time software: state transition, timing and external I/O, in the nonprocedural conceptual data model-based language.
Key WordsProgram specification description language nonprocedural language conceptual data model entity-relationship model constraint real-time software timing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Gopal, G. Herman, W. Mansfield Jr. “A Data Base Model For Network Services”, Proceedings of IEE Software Engineering for Telecommunication Switching Systems 89, pp. 154–157, 1989.Google Scholar
- P. Zave, “An Operational Approach to Requirements Specification for Embedded Systems”, IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol. SE-8, No. 3, 1982.Google Scholar
- Ed Brinksma, “A tutorial on LOTOS”, Protocol Specification, Testing, and Verification, IFIP 85, North Holland Publishing Company, pp. 171–194, 1986.Google Scholar
- M. Hashimoto, K. Ibuki, “Program Specification Description Method Using Data Model-based Information Structure Description”, Review of the Electrical Communications Laboratories, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 409–416, 1987.Google Scholar
- P.P. Chen, “The Entity-Relationship Model — Toward a Unified View of Data”, ACM Trans. Database Syst., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 9–36, 1976.Google Scholar
- M.A. Jackson, “System Development”, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1983.Google Scholar
- J.S. Tseng, B. Szymanski, Y. Shi, N.S. Prywes, “Real-Time Software Life Cycle with the Model System”, IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol. SE-12, No. 2, 1986.Google Scholar