Spatial point location and its applications
This paper considers the problem of locating a point in a polyhedral subdivision of the space defined by planar polygonal faces. A persistent form of binary-binary search tree is presented so that the point location problem can be solved in O(log N) query time and O(N+K) space, where N is the total number of edges and K the edge intersections in the image plane. The persistent structure also gives new better solutions for many other geometric problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.L. Bentley and D. Wood, An optimal worst-case algorithm for reporting intersections of rectangles, IEEE Trans. on Comput. C-29(1980), 571–577.Google Scholar
- B.Chazelle and H.Edelsbrunner, An optimal algorithm for intersecting line segments in the plane, in Proceedings, 29th Annu. IEEE Symp. Found. of Comput. Sci.(1988), pp. 590–600.Google Scholar
- B.Chazelle and J.Friedman, A deterministic view of random sampling and its use in geometry, in Proceedings, 29th Annu. IEEE Symp. Found. of Comput. Sci.(1988), pp. 539–548.Google Scholar
- K.L. Clarkson, New applications of random sampling in computational geometry, Discrete Comput. Geometry 2(1987), 195–222.Google Scholar
- P.Dietz and D.D.Sleator, Two algorithms for maintaining order in a list, in Proceedings, 19th Annu. ACM Symp. Theory of Computing(1987), pp. 365–372.Google Scholar
- H.Edelsbrunner, Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry, Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- L.J.Guibas and R.Sedgewick, A dichromatic framework for balanced trees, in Proceedings, 19th Annu. IEEE Symp. Found. of Comput. Sci.(1978), pp. 8–21.Google Scholar
- O. Nurmi, On translating a set of objects in 2-and 3-dimensional space, Comput. Vision Graphics Image Process. 36(1986), 42–52.Google Scholar
- F.P.Preparata and M.I.Shamos, Computational Geometry, Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- F.P.Preparata and R.Tamassia, Fully dynamic techniques for point location and transitive closure in planar structures, in Proceedings, 29th Annu. IEEE Symp. Found. of Comput. Sci.(1988), pp. 558–567.Google Scholar
- F.P. Preparata and R. Tamassia, Efficient spatial point location, in Algorithms and Data Structures (WADS'89), Lect. Notes in Comput. Sci. 382, Springer-Verlag, 1989, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar
- A.Schmitt, H.Müller and W.Leister, Ray tracing algorithms — theory and practice, Proc. NATO Advanced Study Inst. Theoret. Found. Comput. Graphics and CAD, Springer-Verlag, 1987, pp. 997–1029.Google Scholar