A formal semantics for Z and the link between Z and the relational algebra
A formal semantics for Z based on naive settheory is presented. In this approach a so-called Zbase is postulated to be used in the definition of a Zscript (a specification). From a Zbase we may construct a more powerfull Zbase by a Zscript. This allows us to work in a modular way. In our approach the semantics of a schema is a table from the relation datamodel. This suggests a link with the relational algebra and this link is further explored.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bjø82]D. Bjørner and C.B. Jones Formal semantics and software development, Prentice hall, 1982, chptr 12.Google Scholar
- [Hay87]I. Hayes Specification case studies, Prentice Hall, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Sch88]D.A. Schmidt Denotational Semantics, Brown Publishers, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Ull82]J.D. Ullman Principles of database systems, 2nd edition, Computer Science Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Spi88]J.M. Spivey Understanding Z, Cambridge University Press, 1988.Google Scholar