The design of pictorial databases based upon the theory of symbolic projections
We present a methodology for pictorial database design, based upon a new spatial knowledge structure. This spatial knowledge structure consists of an image database, symbolic projections representing the spatial relations among objects or sub-objects in an image, and rules to derive complex spatial relations from the generalized 2D string representation of the symbolic projections. The most innovative aspect of this spatial knowledge structure is the use of symbolic projections to represent pictorial knowledge as generalized 2D strings. Since spatial knowledge is encoded into strings, inference rules can be applied for spatial reasoning. Finally, we describe a prototype knowledge-based pictorial database system, which supports spatial reasoning, flexible pictorial information retrieval, visualization and manipulation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. K. Chang and E. Jungert, "A Spatial Knowledge Structure for Image Information Systems using Symbolic Projections." Proceedings of FJCC'86, pp. 79–86, Dallas, Texas, Nov. 2–6, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.S. K. Chang, Q. Y. Shi, and C. W. Yan, "Iconic Indexing by 2-D String," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. PAMI-9, no. 3, pp. 413–428, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.S. K. Chang and Y. Li, "Representation of Multi-Resolution Symbolic and Binary Pictures Using 2DH Strings," IEEE Workshop on Language for Automation, pp. 190–195, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.S. K. Chang, C. W. Yan, T. Arndt, and D. Dimitroff, "An Intelligent Image Database System," IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, Special Issue on Image Database, pp. 681–688, May 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.S. K. Chang, E. Jungert, and Y. Li, "Representation and Retrieval of Symbolic Pictures Using Generalized 2D Strings," Proc. of SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing Conference, November 7–10, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Jungert, "Extended Symbolic Projection Used in a Knowledge Structure for Spatial Reasoning," 4th BPRA Conference on Pattern Recognition, Springer Verlag, Cambridge, March 28–30, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Jungert and S. K. Chang, "An Algebra for Symbolic Image Manipulation and Transformation," Visual Database Systems. pp. 301–317, North-Holland. 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.Tomas Lozano-Perez, "Automatic Planning of Manipulator Transfer Movements," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. SMC-11, no. 10, pp. 681–698, October 1981.Google Scholar