Herbicide advisory systems: Weeds in wheat and other crops
This paper discusses the implementation of herbicide advisory systems, based on an example system which tackles the problem of weed control in wheat in the Central Queensland (CQ) region.
The example system, "Weeds in Wheat in CQ", takes into account the desired levels of weed control, the stage of crop development, herbicide rates, timing and cost of application, and the effectiveness of the recommended treatments. The system, which currently is being field tested, forms the backbone for a developing, full-scale system for weed control in sugarcane, and provides a convincing demonstration that crop management expert systems can be implemented on microcomputers and be made readily available to farmers.
Keywords and phrasesexpert system list transversals herbicide advice PC implementation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borland International Inc., Turbo Prolog Owner's Handbook, (1986), USA.Google Scholar
- Borland International Inc., Turbo Prolog Toolbox User's Guide and Reference Manual, (1987), USA.Google Scholar
- Central Queensland Ag Notes, (June 1986), AGDEX 112/00.Google Scholar
- Commonwealth Scientific and Indstrial Research Organisation, Standardized Plant Names: A revised list of Standard Common Names for the More Important Australian Grasses, Other Pasture Plants, and Weeds, Bulletin No. 272, (1955), Melbourne, Australia.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, D. et al. Guide to the Weeds of Central Queensland and their Herbicide Susceptibility, AGDEX 640.Google Scholar
- Kleinshmidt, H.E., Johnson, R.W. (1977) Weeds of Queensland, Queensland Department of Primary Industries, Australia.Google Scholar
- Reggia, J.A. et al. "Diagnostic Expert Systems based on a set covering model", International Journal of Man-Machine Studies (1983), Vol. 19, pp.437–460.Google Scholar
- Shammas, N.C. "Turbo Prolog", BYTE: Small Systems Journal, (Sept 1986), pp.293–295.Google Scholar
- Swarbrick, J.T. (1984) The Australian Weed Control Handbook, 7th edition, Plant Press, Toowoomba, Australia.Google Scholar
- Webster, B. "Two Fine Products", BYTE: Small Systems Journal, (Sept 1986), pp.335–340.Google Scholar
- Weed Control in the Emerald Irrigation Area, Advisory Leaflet No. 1516, Division of Plant Industry, Department of Primary Industries, Queensland, Australia.Google Scholar
- Wheat Varieties For Queensland, (1987), AGDEX 112/32.Google Scholar
- Winter Grains — Broad Leaf Weed Control, Farm Note, (April 1985), AGDEX 110/642.Google Scholar