Fast soliton automata
Solitons, are special moving waves with the remarcable characteristic that when colliding they come out of the collision without loosing their initial properties. Soliton Automata (SA) are a particular class of Cellular Automata which support solitons.
In this work we present a survey of recent developments in the area of SA and some new results regarding algorithmic issues of sequential and parallel versions of the SA. We show that the parallel implementation of the SA in the CRCW model of computation is optimal.
Key wordsSolitons Cellular Automata Optimal Parallel Algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Park, K. Steiglitz and W. Thurston, “Soliton Like Behaviour in Automata”, Physica D 19 (1986).Google Scholar
- T.S. Papatheodorou, M.J. Ablowitz and Y.G. Saridakis, “A Rule for Fast Computation and Analysis of Soliton Automata”, Studies in Appl. Math., 79, pp. 173–184 (1988) — initially CTI Technical Report TR 87.05.01 (May 198).7 Google Scholar
- T.S.Papatheodorou and A.S.Fokas, “Evolution Theory and Characterization of Periodic Particles and Soliton in cellular Automata”, to appear in Stud. of Appl. Math. (1989) — initially CTI Technical Report TR 87.05.02 (May 1987).Google Scholar
- A.S.Fokas, E.P.Papadopoulou, Y.G.Saridakis and M.J.Ablowitz, “Interaction of Simple Particles in Soliton Cellular Automata”, to appear in Stud. of Appl. Math. (1989).Google Scholar
- A.S.Fokas, E.P.Papadopoulou, Y.Saridakis, “Particles in Soliton Cellular Automata”, Inst. for Nonlin. Stud., Clarkson Un., INS#107 (November 1988) Google Scholar
- C.H.Goldberg, Parity Filter Automata, Manuscript Dec 1987, Princeton Un.Google Scholar