Investigation on a structural solution of merged characters segmentation in OCR
One of the major remaining problems in OCR is the processing of merged characters. In this paper we describe the current state of our investigation towards the possibility of a solution which takes advantage of information available in a structural recognition system. Examples are given and some heuristic rules referring to a second level segmentation by means of curve partitioning are discussed. Finally, an OCR model involving multiple level distinction and segmentation is suggested.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Ballard,C. Brown: Computer Vision (Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982).Google Scholar
- 3.R.G. Casey, C.R. Jih: "A Processor Based OCR System", IBM J.Res.Dev., Vol 27,n.4,pp.386–399, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.R.G.Casey, G.Nagy: "Recursive Segmentation and Classification of Composite Character Patterns", 6th Int.Conf.on P.R.,Munich,pp.1023–1026, October 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.G.Ciardiello,M.T.Degrandi,M.P.Roccotelli,G.Scafuro,R.Spada: "An Experimental System For Office Documents Handling and Text Recognition", submitted to9th Int.Conf.on P.R.,Rome, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.L.P.Cordella, A.Marcelli: "Normalization and Decomposition of Thin Lines Representing Handprinted Characters", 8th Int.Conf.on P.R., Paris, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.R.L. Hoffman,J.W.Mc Cullough: "Segmentation Methods for Recognition of Machine-printed Characters", IBM J.Res.Dev.,Vol 15,pp. 153–165,March 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Kahan, T. Pavlidis, H. Baird: "On the Recognition of Printed Characters of Any Font and Size", IEEE trans.on PAMI, Vol PAMI-9,n.2,pp.274–288, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.G.Nagy: "Optical Character Recognition — Theory and Practice", Handbook of Statistics,Vol 2,North Holland Publishing Company, pp. 621–649, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Pavlidis,S. Horowitz, "Segmentation of Plane Curves", IEEE Trans.on Comp.,Vol C-23,n.8,pp.860–870, August 1974.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Pavlidis: Structural Pattern Recognition (Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-NewYork, 1977).Google Scholar
- 12.U. Ramer: "An Iterative Procedure for the Polygonal Approximation of Plane Curves", Comp.Graph.and Im.Proc.,Vol 1,pp.244–256,1972.Google Scholar
- 13."Report of Working Group on Document Analysis and Line-graphics processing", Workshop on Synct. and Struct.P.R, Pont-a-Mousson, 1988.Google Scholar