Proving correctness of constructor implementations
In [ST 88b] the notion of constructor implementation was introduced generalizing previous well-known implementation definitions such as in [EKMP 82]. In this paper we explore a proof strategy for this kind of implementation in a specification language close to ASL. The results show that these proofs are feasible in some cases, but since a general result is not attainable we are satisfied by coping with the most common cases.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BHK 86]J.A.Bergstra, J.Heering, P.Klint. Module algebra. Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Report CS-R8617, 1986.Google Scholar
- [B 87]R.Burstall. Inductively defined functions in functional programming languages. Report CSR-230-87, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- [EKMP 82]H. Ehrig, H.-J. Kreowski, B. Mahr, P. Padawitz. Algebraic implementation of abstract data types. Theoretical Computer Science 20 (1982) p. 209–263.Google Scholar
- [EWT 82]H.Ehrig, E.Wagner, J.Thatcher. Algebraic specifications with generating constraints. In 10th ICALP 1983, Barcelona. LNCS 154, p. 188–202.Google Scholar
- [Far 89]J.Farrés-Casals. Proving correctness of constructor implementations. LFCS Report Series 89-72, University of Edinburgh, 1989.Google Scholar
- [GB 80]J.Goguen, R.Burstall. CAT, a system for the structured elaboration of correct programs from structured specifications. SRI International, Technical Report CSL-118, 1980.Google Scholar
- [GB 84]J.Goguen, R.Burstall. Introducing Institutions. Proc. Workshop on Logic of Programs. LNCS 140. Springer 1984. p. 221–256.Google Scholar
- [SB 83]D. Sannella, R. Burstall. Structured theories in LCF. Proc. 8th Colloq. on Trees in Algebra and Programming. L'Aquila, Italy. LNCS 159 (1983), p. 377–391.Google Scholar
- [ST 88a]D. Sannella, A. Tarlecki. Specifications in an arbitrary institution. Information and Computation 76 (1988), p. 165–210.Google Scholar
- [ST 88b]D. Sannella, A. Tarlecki. Towards formal development of programs from algebraic specifications: Implementations revisited. Acta Informatica 25 (1988), p. 233–281.Google Scholar
- [ST 89]D.Sannella, A.Tarlecki. Toward formal development of ML programs: foundations and methodology. Proc. Colloq. on Current Issues in Programming Languages, Barcelona, March 1989, Springer LNCS 352.Google Scholar
- [SW 83]D. Sannella, M. Wirsing. A kernel language for algebraic specification and implementation. Proc. Intl. Conf. on Foundations of Computation Theory, Borgholm, Sweden. Springer LNCS 158, p. 413–427, 1983.Google Scholar