Integrating integrity constraints with database filters implemented in hardware
In an earlier study the concept of a filter chip for selection, projection, and join operations was presented. In this paper the filter concept is broadened to include data-base integrity constraints. The constraints are formalized in canonical forms. Several filter simplification techniques are described, and finally a filtering hardware architecture is presented.
KeywordsControl Line Integrity Constraint Projection Condition Horn Clause Filter Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BeBC80]BERNSTEIN, P. A., BLAUSTEIN, B. T., AND CLARKE, E. M., "Fast Maintenance of Semantic Integrity Assertions using Redundant Aggregate Data", Proc. of 6th Intl. Conf. on VLDB, Montreal, Oct. 1980, pp. 126–136.Google Scholar
- [BeBl81]BERNSTEIN, P. A., AND BLAUSTEIN, B. T., "A simplfication Algorithm for Integrity Assertions and Concrete Views", Proc. of IEEE COMPSAC, Nov. 1981, pp. 90–99.Google Scholar
- [CMcS87]CHAN, K. K., McDONELL, K. J., AND SRINIVASAN, B., "Performance Amelioration of Integrity Enforcement through Preprocessing", Technical Report No. 83, Monash University, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Fagi82]FAGIN, R., "Horn Clauses and Database Dependencies", Journal of the ACM, Vol. 29, No. 4, Oct. 1982, pp. 952–985.Google Scholar
- [Koba84]KOBAYASHI, I., "Validating Database Updates", Information Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1984, Pergamon Press Ltd., pp. 1–17.Google Scholar
- [OzPe87]OZKARAHAN, E. A., AND PENALOZA, M. A., "On-the-Fly and Background Data Filtering System for Database Architectures", New Generation Computing, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1987, Springer-Verlag and Ohmsha Ltd.Google Scholar
- [Pena88]PENALOZA, M. A., "A Filter Architecture for the Evaluation of Integrity Constraints and Query Filters", Technical Report No. TR-88-022, Arizona State University, 1988.Google Scholar
- [REIT84]REITER, R., "Toward a Logical Reconstruction of Relational Database Theory", Conceptual Modelling, M. Brodie, J. Mylopoulos, and J. W. Schmidt, Eds. Springer-Verlag, Berling and New York, 1984.Google Scholar