Selective refutation of integrity constraints in deductive databases
In this paper we have presented a method that allows the selection of those branches of a derivation tree that contain a specific clause as input clause. We have applied such method to integrity constraint checking but it seems useful in other application areas as well.
Despite to its simplicity in the case of definite goals and programs, when introducing negation problems arise. We restricted ourselves to definite programs and normal goals because in the case of integrity checking it seems quite a general framework since constraints act as goals in our method. Note that if one makes the assumption that all the negative literals in the goal are ground, the verification method sensibly improves.
The presented examples serve as an explanatory framework rather than providing convincing elements with respect to the advantages of the method. In order to get such an evidence examples that give rise to a more complex search spaces are needed.
Much work has to be done to extend the approach to normal programs even if we foresee less advantages.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Asirelli et al. 85]Asirelli, P., De Santis, M., Martelli, M., Integrity Constraints in Logic Data Bases, Journal of Logic Programming, Vol. 2, n. 3, Oct. 1985.Google Scholar
- [Asirelli et al. 88]P. Asirelli, P. Inverardi, A. Mustaro “Improving Integrity constraint Checking in Deductive Databases”, International Conference on Database Theory, 29 Agoust, 2 September 1988, Bruges, Belgium, LNCS 326.Google Scholar
- [Decker 86]Decker, H., Integrity Enforcement on Deductive Databases, 1st International Conference on Expert Database Systems, Charleston, S.C., 1986, pp. 271–285.Google Scholar
- [Lloyd 87]Lloyd, J. W., Foundations of logic programming, Symbolic Computation Series, Springer, 1987, Second Edition.Google Scholar
- [Lloyd et al. 87]Lloyd, J. W., Sonenberg, E.,A., Topor, R. W., Integrity Constraint Checking in Stratified Databases, J. Logic Programming 4(4): 331–343, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Sadri&Kowalsky 87]Sadri, F., Kowalsky, R. A., A Theorem-Proving Approach to Database Integrity, in: J. Minker (ed.), Foundations of Deductive Databases and Logic Programming, Morgan Kaufman, Los Altos, 1987.Google Scholar