A study on Imai-Hirakawa trellis-coded modulation schemes
Although IH-TCM has a defect that the decoding delay is long, the results obtained in 3 have shown that IH-TCM acheives large asymptotic coding gain and is easy to emplement. For constructing IH-TCM system, use of the asymptotic coding gain is a convenient way of estimation for the reliability. However, it must be used carefully. In some cases, IH-TCM which shows high reliability and small complexity in computer simulation is not the same as that obtaind by maximizing asymptotic coding gain.
We have shown some bit error performances of IH-TCM and U-TCM obtaind by computer simlation. It follows from the result that there are IH-TCM systems with smaller complexity of implementation than U-TCM systems having the same decoding error probability at a practical SNR.
The results of computer simulation have been given for only a few cases of IH-TCM systems. However, they suggest that IH-TCM has the possibility of being a practical way to realize highly reliable and efficient communication systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IMAI,H. and HIRAKAWA, S.: ‘A new multilevel coding method using error-correcting codes', IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, IT-23, May, 1977.Google Scholar
- YAMAGUCHI, K. and IMAI, H.: ‘Highly reliable multilevel channel coding system using binary convolutional codes', Electronics Letters, 23, No. 18, pp. 939–941, August 1987.Google Scholar
- YAMAGUCHI, K. and IMAI, H.: ‘A highly reliable trellis coded modulation using binary convolutional codes,’ Trans. of the Institute of Electronic, Information and Communication Engineers, J71-A, No. 4, pp. 1018–1025, Aprir 1988 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- IMAI, H. and HIRAKAWA, S.: ‘A new system of multilevel signal transmission with error control', Paper of Technical Group on Algorithm and Language, Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers, AL75-30, pp.1–10, Oct., 1975, (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- UNGERBOECK, G.: ‘Channel coding with multilevel/phase signals', IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, IT-28, pp.55–67, Jan. 1982.Google Scholar
- YAMADA, T. HARASHIMA, H. and MIYAKAWA, H.: ‘A new maximum likelihood decoding of high rate convolutional codes using a trellis,’ Trans. Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan(A), 66-A, No. 7, pp.611–616, July 1977 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Viterbi, A.J, Omura J.K.: ‘Principles of digital communication and coding', McGraw-Hill, 1979.Google Scholar
- A. R. Calderbank and N. J. A. Sloane: ‘New trellis codes based on lattices andcosets', IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, IT-33, pp.177–195, March. 1987.Google Scholar