On the estimate of the size of a directed graph
Given a directed graph and a source node x0 we want to know the number of nodes that are connected to x0, without searching the whole graph. We give biased and unbiased estimators extending previous results by Knuth and Pitt.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [HK65]Hall, M., D.E.Knuth, "Combinatorial Analysis and Computers, part II", American Mathematical Monthly, February 1965.Google Scholar
- [K75]Knuth, D., "Estimating the Efficiency of Backtrack Programs", Math. Comp. 29, pp. 121–136, 1975.Google Scholar
- [M88]Marchetti-Spaccamela, A., "Monte Carlo Estimates of the Size of Relations in Deductive Databases", manuscript, 1988.Google Scholar
- [P87]Pitt, L., "A Note on Extending Knuth's Tree Estimator to Directed Acyclic Graph", Information Processing Letters vol. 24, pp.203–206, 1987.Google Scholar
- [RND77]Reingold, E.M., J. Nievergelt, N. Deo, Combinatorial Algorithms: Theory and Practice, Prentice Hall, 1977.Google Scholar