Assertional verification of a majority consensus algorithm for concurrency control in multiple copy databases
The majority consensus algorithm of Thomas [Thom79] for concurrency control in multiple copy databases is proved correct, using system-wide invariants. The specification of the algorithm is extended to a more formal and more complete form. It is shown that the algorithm as given by Thomas does not guarantee internal consistency, but that a slightly modified form does. We also describe a modification in which votes need not be remembered.
Keywordsdistributed databases data replication update synchronization concurrency control timestamps assertional proof system-wide invariant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CePe85]Ceri, S., and G. Pelagatti: Distributed Databases. Principles and systems. McGraw-Hill Book Company, London,1985.Google Scholar
- [DvL88]Drost, N.J., and J. van Leeuwen: Assertional verification of a Majority Consensus Algorithm for Concrrency control in Multiple Copy Databases. Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-88-13, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht. 1988.Google Scholar
- [DrSc88]Drost, N.J., and A.A. Schoone: Assertional Verification of a Reset Algorithm. Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-88-5, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht. 1988.Google Scholar
- [Jon87]Jonsson,B.: Modular Verification of Asynchronous Networks. Proc. 6th Annual ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, Vancouver, pp. 152–166, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Knu81]Knuth, D.E.: Verification of Link-Level Protocols. BIT 21:31–36. 1981.Google Scholar
- [Kro78]Krogdahl, S.: Verification of a Class of Link-Level Protocols. BIT 18:436–448. 1978.Google Scholar
- [Sch87]Schoone, A.A.: Verification of Connection-Management Protocols. Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-87-14, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht. 1987.Google Scholar
- [SvL85]Schoone, A.A. and J. van Leeuwen: Verification of Balanced Link-Level Protocols. Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-85-12, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht. 1985. (Revised version to appear in BIT).Google Scholar
- [Tel87]Tel, G.: Assertional Verification of a Timer-based Protocol. Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-87-15, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht. 1987.Google Scholar
- [Thom79]Thomas, R.H.: A Majority Consensus Approach to Concurrency Control for Multiple Copy Databases. ACM Trans. on Database Systems 4,2:180–209,1979.Google Scholar