Identity, equality and query optimization
An object-oriented database model is presented, as well as an object algebra. The focus of the paper is on algebraic manipulation of the object algebra for the purpose of query optimization. Various results governing the rearrangement of the algebraic operations in a query are given, and their impact on query optimization for object-oriented databases is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B*88]J. Banerjee et al. Queries in object-oriented databases. In Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 31–38, Feb. 1988.Google Scholar
- [CP84]S. Ceri and G Pelagatti. Distributed Databases Principles and Systems. McGraw-Hill, 1984.Google Scholar
- [F*87]D.H. Fishman et al. Iris: an object-oriented database management system. ACM Trans. Office Information Systems, 5(1):48–69, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- [GD87]G. Graefe and D.J. DeWitt. The EXODUS optimizer generator. In Proceedings 1987 SIGMOD Conference, pages 160–171, May 1987.Google Scholar
- [KC86]S.N. Khoshafian and G.P. Copeland. Object identity. In OOPSLA '86 Proceedings, pages 406–416, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 21, no. 11, Nov. 1986.Google Scholar
- [Osb88]S.L. Osborn. Polymorphism in an object-oriented database. June 1988. submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- [Sch86]M.H. Scholl. Theoretical foundation of algebraic optimization utilizing unnormalized relations. In International Conference on Database Theory, pages 380–396, Springer Verlag, 1986. Lecture Notes 243.Google Scholar
- [Ull82]Jefferey D. Ullman. Principles of Database Systems. Computer Science Press, second edition, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Weg87]P. Wegner. Dimensions of object-based language design. In OOPSLA '87, pages 168–182, 1987. SIGPLAN Notices vol 22, no. 12.Google Scholar