Identification of database objects by key
In relational databases one or more user-supplied scalar values are used to construct an identifier key representing the identity of an object. By contrast, object-oriented programming-languages and databases support the notion of object identity which is independent of the attribute values of the object. In this paper we compare the two approaches and describe a compromise based upon objects with keys.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bancilhon 87]Bancilhon, F., Briggs, T., Khoshafian, S. & Valduriez P., "FAD, A Powerful and Simple Database Language", Proc 13th VLDB.Google Scholar
- [Bancilhon 88]Bancilhon, F., "Object-oriented Database Systems", Invited lecture, 7th ACM SIGART-SIGMOD-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Database Systems.Google Scholar
- [Beech 88]Beech, D., "A Foundation for Evolution from Relational to Object Databases", Proc EDBT-88, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Codd 70]Codd, E. F., "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks", Comm ACM, Vol 13, No 6.Google Scholar
- [Gray 88]Gray, P.M.D., Moffat, D.S. & Paton, N.W., "A Prolog Interface to a Functional Data Model Database", Proc EDBT-88, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Khoshafian 86]Khoshafian, S.N. & Copeland, G., "Object Identity", Proc OOPSLA-86.Google Scholar
- [Kulkarni 83]Kulkarni, K.G., "Extended Functional Data Model — User Manual", Persistent Programming Research Report 7, University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- [Kulkarni 86]Kulkarni, K.G. & Atkinson, M.P., "EFDM: Extended Functional Data Model", The Computer Journal, Vol 29, No 1.Google Scholar
- [Paton 88]Paton, N.W. & Gray, P.M.D., "An Object-Oriented Database for Storage and Analysis of Protein Structure Data", in "Prolog and Databases: Implementations and Applications", Ellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- [Poul 88]Poulovassilis, A., "FDL: An Integration of the Functional Data Model and the Functional Computational Model", to be published in Proc 6th BNCOD.Google Scholar
- [Shipman 81]Shipman, D.W., "The Functional Data Model and the Data Language DAPLEX", ACM TODS, Vol 6, No 1.Google Scholar
- [Stonebraker 86]Stonebraker, M., "Triggers and Inference In Database Systems", in "On Knowledge Base Management Systems", Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar