Instance inheritance mechanisms for object oriented databases
Many object-oriented systems and semantic data models offer mechanisms for attribute inheritance based on the concept of generalization. But some applications, for instance from the fields of CAD/CAM or artificial intelligence, need an "instance inheritance relationship" which not only transfers the existence of attributes from one object to another, but also the values of these attributes. This paper discusses several types of instance inheritance and proposes a general inheritance relationship as a framework for the integrated treatment of different types of inheritance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BaKi85]D.S.Batory, W.Kim: Modelling Concepts for VLSI CAD Objects. ACM TODS, Vol.10, No.3, September 1985Google Scholar
- [BKSW88]T.Berkel, P.Klahold, G.Schlageter, W.Wilkes: Modelling CAD-Objects by Abstraction. Proc. 3rd Intern. Conf. on Data and Knowledge Bases, Jerusalem, June 27–30, 1988Google Scholar
- [Dada86]P. Dadam, et.al.: A DBMS Prototype to Support Extended NF2-Relations: An Integrated View on Flat Tables and Hierarchies. Proc. SIGMOD, Washington D.C., May 1986Google Scholar
- [KSWi86]P. Klahold, G. Schlageter, W. Wilkes: A General Model for Version Management in Databases. Proc. VLDB, Kyoto, August 1986Google Scholar
- [MLNB83]D. McLeod, K. Narayanaswamy, K.V. Bapa Rao: An Approach to Information Management for CAD/VLSI Applications. Proc. SIGMOD, Engineering Design Applications, San Jose, May 1983Google Scholar
- [Marm87]M.Marmann: Modelling Mechanisms for Database Design and their applicability in the field of CAD/CAM. Diploma thesis, University of Hagen / University of Dortmund, May 1987 (in German)Google Scholar
- [MaWi88]M.Marmann, W.Wilkes: Instance Inheritance in Databases. Internal Paper, University of Hagen 1988 (in preparation)Google Scholar
- [MyBW80]J.Mylopoulos, P.A.Bernstein, H.K.T.Wong: A Language Facility for Designing Database-Intensive Applications. ACM TODS, Vol.5, No.2, June 1980Google Scholar
- [NaBR88]K. Narayanaswamy, K.V. Bapa Rao: An Incremental Mechanism for Schema Evolution in Engineering Domains. Proc. Data Engineering, Los Angeles, February 1988Google Scholar
- [WiKS88]W.Wilkes, P.Klahold, G.Schlageter: Complex and Composite Objects in CAD/CAM Databases. Informatik Berichte, FernUniversität Hagen, No. 80, April 1988 (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- [Wilk87]W.Wilkes: The Notion of Versions and its Modelling in CAD/CAM-Databases. PhD-thesis, University of Hagen, September 1987 (in German)Google Scholar