Flexible and Extensible Digital Object and Repository Architecture (FEDORA)
We describe a digital object and respository architecture for storing and disseminating digital library content. The key features of the architecture are: (1) support for heterogeneous data types; (2) accommodation of new types as they emerge; (3) aggregation of mixed, possibly distributed, data into complex objects; (4) the ability to specify multiple content disseminations of these objects; and (5) the ability to associate rights management schemes with these disseminations. This architecture is being implemented in the context of a broader research project to develop next-generation service modules for a layered digital library architecture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arms, William Y., Christophe Blanchi, Edward A. Overly.: An Architecture for Information in Digital Libraries. D-Lib Magazine. February 1997, http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february97/cnri/02arms1.html
- 2.CNRI Handle System. http://www.handle.net
- 3.Crespo, Arturo and Hector Garcia-Molina.: Archival Storage for Digital Libraries. ACM Digital Libraries’ 98. Pittsburgh, PA, June, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Dublin Core Metadata Element Set: Resource Page. http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core.
- 5.Daniel, Ron Jr., Carl Lagoze, and Sandra Payette.: A Metadata Architecture for Digital Libraries. Proceedings of IEEE Forum on Research and Technology Advances in Digital Libraries 1998. Santa Barbara, California, April 22–24, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.FEDORA CORBA IDL. http://www2.cs.cornell.edu/payette/papers/ECDL98/FEDORAIDL.html
- 7.Kahn, Robert H., and Robert Wilensky.: A Framework for Distributed DigitalObject Services. Corporation for National Research Initiatives, http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/cstr/arch/k-w.html or hdl:cnri.dlib/tn95-01, 1995.
- 8.Lagoze, Carl, Clifford A. Lynch, and Ron DanielJr.: The Warwick Framework: A Container Architecture for Aggregating Sets of Metadata. Cornell University Computer Science Technical Report TR96-1593. June, 1996, http://cstr.cs.cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.cornell/TR96-1593.
- 9.Lagoze, Carl, Erin Shaw, James R. Davis, and Dean B. Krafft.: Dienst: Implementation Reference Manual. Cornell Computer Science Technical Report TR95-1514. http://cstr/cs/cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.cornell/TR95-1514
- 10.Making of America Testbed Project White Paper. Version 1.03, March 16, 1998, http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/moa2/
- 11.Monch, Christian, Oswald Drobnik, and Johann Wolfgang.: Integrating New Document Types into Digital Libraries. Proceedings of IEEE Forum on Research and Technology Advances in Digital Libraries 1998. Santa Barbara, California, April 22–24, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Networked Computer Science Technical Reports Library. http://www.ncstrl.org
- 13.Phelps, Thomas A. and Robert Wilensky.: Toward Active, Extensible, Networked Documents: Multivalent Architecturre and Applications.,Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Conference on Digital Libraries. Bethesda, Maryland, March 20–23, 1996, pp. 100–108.Google Scholar