Scientific Digital Libraries in Germany: Global-Info, a Federal Government Initiative
This talk will introduce and comment on the German Digital Libraries program Global-Info. It will start with a brief introduction to the way research is organized in Germany, followed by some background on ongoing and completed German projects related to Digital Libraries. Then the approach and organization of the Global-Info program are presented.
Global-Info is an interdisciplinary program that includes producers, intermediaries and consumers of scientific information. They are represented by learned societies, publishers, universities, and libraries. The program started at the beginning of this year and will run for a 6-year period with individual project durations of two to three years. A main characteristic of Global-Info is that the more specific goals and its organization will be developed by the scientific community and the publishers - i. e. the funded organizations - in a bottom up process in the course of the program.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Atkins, D.E.: Report of the Santa Fe Planning Workshop on Distributed Knowledge Work Environments: Digital Libraries. Available at: http://www.si.umich.edu/SantaFe/report.html
- 2.Böhm, K., Aberer, K., öszu, T., Gayer, K.: Query Optimization for Structured Documents Based on Knowledge on the Document Type Definition. IEEE Advances in Digital Libraries 98 (ADL 98), Santa Barbara, USA (1998) 196–205.Google Scholar
- 3.Hollfelder, S., Schmidt, F., Hemmje, M., Aberer, K.: Transparent Integration of Continuous Media Support into a Multimedia DBMS International Workshop on Issues and Applications of Database Technology (IADT’98), Berlin, Germany, July 6–9, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Huck, G., Fankhauser, P., Aberer, K., Neuhold, E.: Jedi: Extracting and Synthesizing Information from the Web CoopIS’98 Proceedings, (1998) IEEE Computer Society PressGoogle Scholar
- 6.Klein, B., Fankhauser, P.: Error tolerant Document Structure Analysis International Journal on Digital Libraries, Volume 1 Issue 4 (1998) 344–357Google Scholar
- 7.Müller, A., Everts, A.: Interactive Image Retrieval by Means of Abductive Inference. In: Proceedings of the RIAO 97 Conference-Computer-Assisted Information Searching on Internet, Montreal, Canada, 25–27 June, 1997. Montreal: McGill University, (1997) 450–466Google Scholar
- 8.Ferber, R.: Automated Indexing with Thesaurus Descriptors: A Co-occurrence based Approach to Multilingual Retrieval. In:  (1997) 232–252.Google Scholar
- 9.Thiel, U., Tzeras, K.: The Search for Information in Digital Libraries. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Research, Development and Practis in Digital Libraries (ISDL’97) Tsukuba Science City, Japan (1997) 55–62.Google Scholar
- 10.Thiel, U., Hollfelder, S., Everts, A.: Multimedia Management and Query Processing Issues in Distributed Digital Libraries: A HERMES Perspective. To appear in: DEXA’98 Workshop Proceedings (1998).Google Scholar
- 11.Stein, A., Gulla, J. A., Müller, A., Thiel, U.: Conversational Interaction for Semantic Access to Multimedia Information. In: Maybury, M.T. (Ed.): Intelligent Multimedia Information Retrieval. Menlo Park, CA: AAAI/The MIT Press (1997) 399–421.Google Scholar
- 12.Dittmann, J., Nack, F., Steinmetz, A., Steinmetz, R.: Interactive Watermarking Environments. To appear at the IEEE Multimedia’ 98, Austin, Texas.Google Scholar
- 13.Tesch, T., Aberer, K.: Scheduling Non-Enforceable Contracts Among Autonomous Agents. In: Proceedings of the Third IFCIS Conference on Cooperative Information Systems (CoopIS’98) August 20–22 (1998) New York, USA. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- 14.Peters, C., Thanos, C. (Eds.): Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries. First European Conference, ECDL’ 97, Pisa, Italy, 1–3 September, Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1324, (1997) Springer.Google Scholar
- 15.Adam, N. R., Bhargava, B. K., Halem, M., Yesha, Y. (Eds.): Digital Libraries, Research and Technology Advances, ADL’ 95 Forum, McLean, Virginia, USA, May 15-17, 1995, Selected Papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1082, (1996) Springer.Google Scholar
- 16.Proceedings of the Third Forum on Research and Technology Advances in Digital Library, ADL’ 96, May 13–15, 1996, Washington, D.C. USA. (1996) IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar