An Analysis of Usage of a Digital Library
As experimental digital library testbeds gain wider acceptance and develop significant user bases, it becomes important to investigate the ways in which users interact with the systems in practice. Transaction logs are one source of usage information, and the information on user behaviour can be culled from them both automatically (through calculation of summary statistics) and manually (by examining query strings for semantic clues on search motivations and searching strategy). We conduct a transaction log analysis on user activity in the Computer Science Technical Reports Collection of the New Zealand Digital Library, and report insights gained and identify resulting search interface design issues.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bollacker, K.D., Lawrence, S., Giles, C.L.: CiteSeer: an Autonomous Web Agent for Automatic Retrieval and Identification of Interesting Publications. Proceedings of the Second International Conrerence on Autonomous Agents, Minneapolis, St. Paul, May 9–13, (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.Cunningham, S.J.: Providing Internet Reference Services for the New Zealand Digital Library: Gaining Insight Into the User Base for a Digital Library. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on New Information Technology, (1998) 27–34.Google Scholar
- 5.Davies, T., Willie, S.: The Efficacy of a Venn-based Query Interface: an Evaluation. In Proceedings of QCHI95 Symposium, Bond University, Queensland, Australia, August, (1995) 41–50.Google Scholar
- 6.Greene, S.L., Devlin, S.J., Cannata, P.E., Gomez, L.M.: No IFs, ANDs or ORs: a Study of Database Querying. International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 32,3, (1990) 303–326.Google Scholar
- 8.Jansen, B.J., Spink, A., Saracevic, T.: Failure Analysis in Query Construction: Data and Analysis from a Large Sample of Web Queries. Proceedings of ACM Digital Libraries’ 98, Pittsburgh, (1998) 289–290.Google Scholar
- 9.Jones, S., McInnes, S.: A Graphical User Interface for Boolean Query Specification. Working Paper 97/31, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waikato, New Zealand, (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.McNab, R. J., Witten, I. H., Boddie, S. J.: A Distributed Digital Library Architecture Incorporating Different Index Styles. Proceedings of the IEEE Forum on Research and Technology Advances in Digital Libraries, Santa Barbara, CA, April, (1998) 36–45.Google Scholar
- 11.Nevill-Manning, C.G., Witten, I.H., Paynter, G.W.: Browsing in Digital Libraries: a Phrase-based Approach. Proceedings of ACM Digital Libraries’ 97, Philadelphia, (1997) 230–236.Google Scholar
- 14.Williams, M.: An Evaluation of Passage-Level Indexing Strategies for a Full-Text Document Archive. LIBRES 8,1, (1998). Electronic publication, available at http://aztec.lib.utk.edu/libres/libre8n1/.