Modelling Timeouts without Timelocks
We address the issue of modelling a simple timeout in timed automata. We argue that expression of the timeout in the UPPAAL timed automata model is unsatisfactory. Specifically, the solutions we explore either allow timelocks or are prohibitively complex. In response we consider timed automata with deadlines which have the property that timelocks cannot be created when composing automata in parallel. We explore a number of different options for reformulating the timeout in this framework and then we relate them.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Alur and D. Dill. A theory of timed automata. Theoretical Computer Science, pages 183–235, 1994.Google Scholar
- Johan Bengtsson, Kim G. Larsen, Fredrik Larsson, and Paul Pettersson amd Wang Yi. Uppaal-a tool suite for automatic verification of real-time system. In Proceedings of the 4th DIMACS Workshop on Verification and Control of Hybrid Systems, 1995.Google Scholar
- S. Bornot, J. Sifakis, and S. Tripakis. Modeling urgency in timed systems. In Compositionality, COMPOS’97, LNCS (to appear), 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Bowman. Discussion document-modelling timeout behaviour in timed automata. Technical report, Available from author, 1998.Google Scholar
- H. Bowman, G. Faconti, J-P. Katoen, D. Latella, and M. Massink. Automatic verification of a lip synchronisation algorithm using UPPAAL. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems, 1998. To Appear in Special Issue of Formal Aspects of Computing.Google Scholar
- C. Daws, A. Olivero, S. Tripakis, and S. Yovine. The tool KRONOS. In Hybrid Systems III, Verification and Control, LNCS 1066. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- Th. A. Henzinger and Pei Hsin. HyTech: The Cornell HYbrid TECHnology tool. In Proceedings of TACAS, Workshop on Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, 1995.Google Scholar
- R. Milner. Communication and Concurrency. Prentice-Hall, 1989.Google Scholar
- T. Regan. Multimedia in temporal LOTOS: A lip synchronisation algorithm. In PSTV XIII, 13th Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification. North-Holland, 1993.Google Scholar
- J. Sifakis and S. Yiovine. Compositional specification of timed systems, (extended abstract). In STACS’96, Proceedings of the 13th Annual Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science, LNCS 1046, pages 347–359. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar