Towards an Automatic Analysis of Security Protocols in First-Order Logic
- 430 Downloads
The Neuman-Stubblebine key exchange protocol is formalized in first-order logic and analyzed by the automated theorem prover Spass. In addition to the analysis, we develop the necessary theoretical background providing new (un)decidability results for monadic firstorder fragments involved in the analysis. The approach is applicable to a variety of security protocols and we identify possible extensions leading to future directions of research.
KeywordsSecurity Protocol Horn Clause Tree Automaton Automate Theorem Prove Ground Instance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bogaert, B. & Tison, S. (1992), Equality and disequality constraints on direct subterms in tree automata, in A. Finkel & M. Jantzen, eds,’ Proceedings of 9th Annual Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science, STACS92’, Vol. 577 of LNCS, Springer, pp. 161–171.Google Scholar
- Charatonik, W., McAllester, D., Niwinski, D., Podelski, A. & Walukiewicz, I. (1998), The horn mu-calculus, in `Proceedings 13th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, LICS’98’, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 58–69.Google Scholar
- Jacquemard, F., Meyer, C. & Weidenbach, C. (1998), Unification in extensions of shallow equational theories, in T. Nipkow, ed.,’ Rewriting Techniques and Applications, 9th International Conference, RTA-98’, Vol. 1379 of LNCS, Springer, pp. 76–90.Google Scholar
- Paulson, L. C. (1997), Proving properties of security protocols by induction, in J. Millen, ed.,’ Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Workshop’, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 70–83.Google Scholar
- Schneier, B. (1996), Applied Cryptography, 2 edn, Wiley.Google Scholar
- Schumann, J. (1997), Automatic verification of cryptographic protocols with setheo, in’ Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Automated Deduction, CADE-14’, Vol. 1249 of LNAI, Springer, Townsville, Australia, pp. 87–100.Google Scholar
- Weidenbach, C. (1998), Sorted unification and tree automata, in W. Bibel & P. H. Schmitt, eds,’ Automated Deduction-A Basis for Applications’, Vol. 1 of Applied Logic, Kluwer, chapter 9, pp. 291–320.Google Scholar
- Weidenbach, C., Afshordel, B., Brahm, U., Cohrs, C., Engel, T., Keen, E., Theobalt, C. & Topic, D. (1999), System description: Spass version 1.0.0, in H. Ganzinger, ed.,’ 16th International Conference on Automated Deduction, CADE-16’, LNAI, Springer. This volume.Google Scholar