Prefixed Resolution: A Resolution Method for Modal and Description Logics
We provide a resolution-based proof procedure for modal and description logics that improves on previous proposals in a number of important ways. First, it avoids translations into large undecidable logics, and works directly on modal or description logic formulas instead. Second, by using labeled formulas it avoids the complexities of earlier propositional resolution-based methods for modal logic. Third, it provides a method for manipulating so-called assertional information in the description logic setting. And fourth, we believe that it combines ideas from the method of prefixes used in tableaux and resolution in such a way that some of the heuristics and optimizations devised in either field are applicable.
KeywordsModal Logic Description Logic Resolution Method Reasoning Task Atomic Concept
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. Blackburn. Internalizing labeled deduction. Technical Report CLAUS-Report 102, Computerlinguistik, Universität des Saarlandes, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Brachman and H. Levesque. The tractability of subsumption in frame-based description languages. In AAAI-84, pages 34–37, 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Calvanese, G. De Giacomo, and M. Lenzerini. Conjunctive query containment in description logics with n-ary relations. In Proc. of DL-97, pages 5–9, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.H. de Nivelle. Ordering refinements of resolution. PhD thesis, Technische Universiteit Delft, Delft. The Netherlands, October 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.H. de Nivelle and M. de Rijke. Resolution decides the guarded fragment. Submitted for journal publication, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.M. de Rijke. Restricted description languages. Unpublished, 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.I. Horrocks and P. Patel-Schneider. Optimising description logic subsumption. Submitted to the Journal of Logic and Computation, 1998.Google Scholar
- 16.U. Hustadt and R. Schmidt. Issues of decidability for description logics. Unpublished, 1998.Google Scholar
- 17.G. Mints. Resolution calculi for modal logics. American Mathematical Society Translations, 143:1–14, 1989.Google Scholar
- 18.K. Schild. A correspondence theory for terminological logics. In Proc. of the 12th IJCAI, pages 466–471, 1991.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Tammet. Using resolution for extending KL-ONE-type languages. In Proc. of the 4th CIKM. ACM Press, November 1995.Google Scholar