On Some Tighter Inapproximability Results (Extended Abstract)
We give a number of improved inapproximability results, including the best up to date explicit approximation thresholds for bounded occurence satisfiability problems like MAX-2SAT and E2-LIN-2, and the bounded degree graph problems, like MIS, Node Cover, and MAX CUT. We prove also for the first time inapproximability of the problem of Sorting by Reversals and display an explicit approximation threshold.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithms Approximation Hardness Bounded Dependency Satisfiability Breakpoint Graphs Independent Set Node Cover MAX-CUT Sorting by Reversals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A94]S. Arora, Probabilistic Checking of Proofs and Hardness of Approximation Problems, Ph. D. Thesis, UC Berkeley, 1994; available as TR94-476 at ftp://ftp.cs.princeton.eduGoogle Scholar
- [ALMSS92]S. Arora, C. Lund, R. Motwani, M. Sudan and M. Szegedy, Proof Verification and Hardness of Approximation Problems, Proc. 33rd IEEE FOCS (1992), pp. 14–23.Google Scholar
- [BF95]P. Berman and T. Fujito, Approximating Independent Sets in Degree 3 Graphs, Proc. 4thWorkshop on Algorithms and Data Structures, LNCS Vol. 955, Springer-Verlag, 1995, pp. 449–460.Google Scholar
- [BF94]P. Berman and M. Fürer, Approximating Maximum Independent Set in Bounded Degree Graphs, Proc. 5th ACM-SIAM SODA (1994), pp. 365–371.Google Scholar
- [BH96]P. Berman and S. Hannenhali, Fast Sorting by Reversals, Proc. 7th Symp. on Combinatorial Pattern Matching, 1996, pp. 168–185.Google Scholar
- [BK99]P. Berman and M. Karpinski, On Some Tighter Inapproximbility Results, preliminary version appeared in ECCC TR98-065, the full version available under http://theory.cs.uni-bonn.de/_marek.
- [B78]B. Bollobás, Extremal Graph Theory, 1978, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- [C97]A. Caprara, Sorting by reversals is difficult, Proc. 1st ACM RECOMB (Int. Conf. on Computational Molecular Biology), 1997, pp. 75–83.Google Scholar
- [C98]D.A. Christie, A 3/2-Approximation Algorithm for Sorting by Reversals, Proc. 9th ACM-SIAM SODA (1998), pp. 244–252.Google Scholar
- [CB95]D. Cohen and M. Blum, Improved Bounds for Sorting Burnt Pancakes, Discrete Applied Mathematics, Vol. 61, pp. 105–125.Google Scholar
- [CK97]P. Crescenzi and V. Kann, A Compendium of NP Optimization Problems, Manuscript, 1997; available at http://www.nada.kth.se/theory/problemlist.html
- [FG95]U. Feige and M. Goemans, Approximating the Value of Two Prover Proof Systems with Applications to MAX-2SAT and MAX-DICUT, Proc. 3rd Israel Symp. on Theory of Computing and Systems, 1995, pp. 182–189.Google Scholar
- [GW94]M. Goemans and D. Williamson, 878-Approximation Algorithms for MAX CUT and MAX 2SAT, Proc. 26th ACM STOC (1994), pp. 422–431.Google Scholar
- [H96]J. Håstad, Clique is Hard to Approximate within n 1-ε, Proc. 37th IEEE FOCS (1996), pp. 627–636.Google Scholar
- [H97]J. Håstad, Some optimal Inapproximability results, Proc. 29th ACMSTOC, 1997, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- [HP95]S. Hannenhali and P. Pevzner, Transforming Cabbage into Turnip (Polynomial time algorithm for sorting by reversals), Proc. 27th ACM STOC (1995), pp. 178–187.Google Scholar
- [KST97]H. Kaplan, R. Shamir and R.E. Tarjan, Faster and simpler algorithm for sorting signed permutations by reversals, Proc. 8th ACM-SIAM SODA, 1997, pp. 344–351.Google Scholar
- [TSSW96]L. Trevisan, G. Sorkin, M. Sudan and D. Williamson, Gadgets, Approximation and Linear Programming, Proc. 37th IEEE FOCS (1996), pp. 617–626.Google Scholar