Advanced Library Support for Irregular and Out-of-Core Parallel Computing
Large scale irregular applications involve data arrays and other data structures that are too large to fit in main memory and hence reside on disks; such applications are called out-of-core applications. We present a design and implementation of lip, a new parallel library that is intended to efficiently support parallel execution of irregular out-of-core codes on parallel systems. We discuss the lip structure and application interface, as well as an application that has been implemented using that interface. The library has been implemented on top of MPI/MPI-IO and, therefore, is fully portable.We introduce preliminary performance results from a template CFD codes to demonstrate the efficacy of the presented techniques.
KeywordsLoop Iteration Remote Memory Virtual Memory Application Interface Communication Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Bordawekar, A. Choudhary. Issues in Compiling I/O Intensive Problems. In: R. Jain, J. Werth, J. Browne (eds.) Input/Output in Parallel and Distributed Computer Systems, Kluwer Academic Publ., 1996, pp. 69–96.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Brezany, A. Choudhary, and M. Dang. Parallelization of Irregular Out-of-Core Applications for Distributed-Memory Systems. Proceedings of HCPN 97, Vienna, April 1997, Springer-Verlag, LNCS 1225.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Brezany, A. Choudhary, and M. Dang. Parallelization of Irregular Codes Including Out-of-Core Data and Index Arrays, “Parallel Computing 1997-PARCO’97”, Bonn, Germany, September 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Brezany, V. Sipkova, B. Chapman, R. Griemel Automatic Parallelization of the AVL FIRE Benchmark for a Distributed-Memory System In: PARA’95, Lyngby, Denmark, Springer Verlag, LNCS 1041, pp. 50–60.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Bubak, P. OLuszczek, Towards Portable Runtime Support for Irregular and Outof-Core Computations. In: J. Dongarra, E. Luque, T. Margalef, (Eds.), Proceedings of 6th European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting, Barcelona, Spain, September 1999, LNCS 1697, Springer-Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg, 1999, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Bubak, P. OLuszczek, M. Malawski, K. Zając, Irregular and Out-of-Core Computing on SGI Origin 2000 in: Proceedings of 1st SGI Users Conference, Cracow, Poland, October 2000, ACC Cyfronet UMM, 2000, pp. 185–193.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Choudhary, et al. PASSION: Parallel and Scalable Software for Input-Output. CRPC-TR94483, Rice University, Houston, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.T.H. Cormen and A. Colvin. ViC*: A Preprocessor for Virtual-Memory C*. TR: PCS-TR94-243, Dept. of Computer Science, Dartmouth College, Nov. 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Koelbel, P. Mehrotra, J. Saltz, and S. Berryman. Parallel Loops on Distributed Machines. In Proceedings of the 5th Distributed Memory Computing Conference, Charleston, pages 1097–1119, IEEE Comp. Soc. Press, April 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.C.-W. Ou and S. Ranka SPRINT: Scalable Partitioning, Refinement, and Incremental partitioning Techniques. http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/~pcrc/maryland/.
- 11.J. Nieplocha and I. Foster. Disk Resident Arrays: An Array-Oriented I/O Library for Out-Of-Core Computations. In Proc. of the Sixth Symposium on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation, IEEE Press, October 1996, pp. 196–204.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Paleczny, K. Kennedy, and C. Koelbel. Compiler Support for Out-of-Core Arrays on Parallel Machines. In Proceedings of the 7th Symposium on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation, McLean, VA, pages 110–118, February 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Ponnusamy et al. CHAOS runtime library. Techn. Report, University of Maryland, May 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Thakur, R. Bordawekar, and A. Choudhary. Compiler and Runtime Support for Out-of-Core HPF Programs. In Proceedings of the 1994_ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, pages 382–391, Manchester, July 1994.Google Scholar