The GRB Library: Grid Computing with Globus in C
In this paper we describe a library layered on top of basic Globus services. The library provides high level services, can be used to develop both web-based and desktop grid applications, it is relatively small and very easy to use. We show its usefulness in the context of a web-based Grid Resource Broker developed using the library as a building block, and in the context of a metacomputing experiment demonstrated at the SuperComputing 2000 conference.
KeywordsGrid Computing Grid Resource Grid Service Grid Application Globus Toolkit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Foster and K. Kesselman, “GLOBUS: a Metacomputing Infrastructure Toolkit”, Int. J. Supercomputing Applications (1997), 115–28Google Scholar
- 2.A.S. Grimshaw, W.A. Wulf, J.C. French, A.C. Weaver and P.F. Reynolds Jr., “The Legion Vision of a Worldwide Virtual Computer”, CACM 40 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.J. Almond, D. Snelling, “UNICORE: uniform access to supercomputing as an element of electronic commerce”, FGCS Volume 15 (1999), Numbers 5-6, October 1999, pp. 539–548Google Scholar
- 4.I. Foster and C. Kesselman (eds.), The Grid: Blueprint for a new Computing Infrastructure, (Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1998) ISBN 1-55860-475-8Google Scholar
- 7.G. Aloisio, E. Blasi, M. Cafaro, I. Epicoco, The Grid Resource Broker, a ubiquitous grid computing framework, submitted to Journal of Scientific ProgrammingGoogle Scholar
- 8.G. Aloisio, M. Cafaro, E. Seidel, J. Nabrzyski, A. Reinefeld, T. Kielmann, P. Kacsuk et al., Early experiences with the Egrid testbed, to appear in Proceedings of CCGRID2001, Brisbane, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. Allen, W. Benger, T. Goodale, H. Hege, G. Lanfermann, A. Merzky, T. Radke, and E. Seidel, The CactusCode: A Problem Solving Environment for the Grid. In Proc.High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-2000), pp 253–260, IEEE Computer Society, 2000Google Scholar
- 10.SDSC GridPort Toolkit, http://gridport.npaci.edu
- 11.NLANR Grid Portal Development Kit, http://dast.nlanr.net/Features/GridPortal
- 12.G. von Laszewski, I. Foster, J. Gawor, W. Smith, and S. Tuecke, “CoG Kits: A Bridge between Commodity Distributed Computing and High-Performance Grids”, accepted to the ACM 2000 Java Grande Conference, 2000Google Scholar