All-Pairs Shortest Paths Computation in the BSP Model
The model of bulk-synchronous parallel (BSP) computation is an emerging paradigm of general-purpose parallel computing. We propose a new p-processor BSP algorithm for the all-pairs shortest paths problem in a weighted directed dense graph. In contrast with the general algebraic path algorithm, which performs O(p1/2) to O(p2/3) global synchronisation steps, our new algorithm only requires O(log p) synchronisation steps.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Carré. Graphs and Networks. Oxford Applied Mathematics and Computer Science Series. Clarendon Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest. Introduction to Algorithms. The MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Series. The MIT Press and McGraw-Hill, 1990.Google Scholar
- I. Foster. Designing and Building Parallel Programs. Addison-Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Gondran and M. Minoux. Graphs and Algorithms. Wiley—Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons, 1984.Google Scholar
- W. F. McColl. Scalable computing. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Computer Science Today: Recent Trends and Developments, volume 1000 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 46–61. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- W. F. McColl. A BSP realisation of Strassen’s algorithm. In M. Kara, J. R. Davy, D. Goodeve, and J. Nash, editors, Abstract Machine Models for Parallel and Distributed Computing, pages 43–46. IOS Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- W. F. McColl. Universal computing. In L. Bougé et al., editors, Proceedings of Euro-Par’ 96 (Part I), volume 1123 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 25–36. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Tiskin. Bulk-synchronous parallel Gaussian elimination. In N. N. Vasil’ev and A. M. Vershik, editors, Representation Theory, Dynamical Systems, Combinatorial and Algorithmic Methods (Part 4), volume 258 of Zapiski Nauchnykh Seminarov POMI. Russian Academy of Sciences, 1999. Also to appear in Journal of Mathematical Sciences.Google Scholar
- U. Zimmermann. Linear and Combinatorial Optimization in Ordered Algebraic Structures, volume 10 of Annals of Discrete Mathematics. North-Holland, 1981.Google Scholar