Network Programming Using PLAN
active packets carrying PLAN code; and
downloadable, node-resident services written in more general-purpose languages.
We present several examples which illustrate how these two features can be combined to implement various network functions.
KeywordsActive Network Multicast Tree Network Address Address Resolution Protocol Internet Control Message Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. S. Alexander. ALIEN: A Generalized Computing Model of Active Networks. PhD thesis, University of Pennsylvania, September 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.D. S. Alexander, Kostas G. Anagnostakis, W. A. Arbaugh an d A. D. Keromytis, and J. M. Smith. The Price of Safety in an Active Network. Technical Report MS-CIS-99-02, University of Pennsylvania, January 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Scott Alexander, William A. Arbaugh, Michael Hicks, Pankaj Kakkar, Angelos Keromytis, Jonathan T. Moore, Carl A. Gunter, Scott M. Nettles, and Jonathan M. Smith. The SwitchWare Active Network Architecture. IEEE Network Magazine, 12(3):29–36, 1998. Special issue on Active and Controllable Networks.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.D. Scott Alexander, William A. Arbaugh, Angelos D. Keromytis, and Jonathan M. Smith. A Secure Active Network Architecture: Realization in SwitchWare. IEEE Network Special Issue on Active and Controllable Networks, 12(3):37–45, May/June 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Scott Alexander, Marianne Shaw, Scott M. Nettles, and Jonathan M. Smith. Active Bridging. In Proceedings, 1997 SIGCOMM Conference. ACM, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Caml home page. http://www.pauillac.inria.fr/caml/index-eng.html.
- 7.Grzegorz Czajkowski and Thorsten von Eicken. JRes: A Resource Accounting Interface for Java. In Proceedings of 1998 ACM OOPSLA Conference, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.James Gosling, Bill Joy, and Guy Steele. The Java Language Specification. Addison Wesley, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.John Hartman, Udi Manber, Larry Peterson, and Todd Proebsting. Liquid Software: A New Paradigm for Networked Systems. Technical report, Department of Computer Science, University of Arizona, June 1996. http://www.cs.arizona.edu/ liquid.
- 10.C. Hedrick. Routing Information Protocol. RFC 1058, June 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.Michael Hicks. PLAN System Security. Technical Report MS-CIS-98-25, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Michael Hicks, Pankaj Kakkar, Jonathan T. Moore, Carl A. Gunter, and Scott Nettles. PLAN: A Packet Language for Active Networks. In Proceedings of the Third ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming Languages, pages 86–93. ACM, 1998. Available at http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware/papers/plan.ps.
- 13.Michael Hicks and Angelos D. Keromytis. A Secure PLAN. In International Workshop on Active Networks, 1999. Submitted; available at http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware/papers/secureplan.ps.
- 14.Michael Hicks, Jonathan T. Moore, D. Scott Alexander, Carl A. Gunter, and Scott Nettles. PLANet: An Active Internetwork. In Proceedings of the Eighteenth IEEE Computer and Communication Society INFOCOM Conference. IEEE, 1999. To appear; Available at http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware/papers/plan.ps.
- 15.David C. Plummer. An Ethernet Address Resolution Protocol. Technical report, IETF RFC 826, 1982.Google Scholar
- 16.J. Postel. Internet Control Message Protocol. Technical report, IETF RFC 792, September 1981.Google Scholar
- 17.B. Schwartz, A. Jackson, T. Strayer, W. Zhou, R. Rockwell, and C. Partridge. Smart Packets for Active Networks. In IEEE OPENARCH, New York, New York, March 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.J. M. Smith, D. S. Alexander, W. S. Marcus, M. Segal, and W. D. Sincoskie. Towards an Active Internet. Available at http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware/papers/arc.ps, July 1998.
- 19.SwitchWare project home page. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware.
- 20.Scott Thibault, Charles Consel, and Gilles Muller. Safe and Efficient Active Network Programming. In 17th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, 1998.Google Scholar
- 21.David J. Wetherall, John Guttag, and David L. Tennenhouse. ANTS: A Toolkit for Building and Dynamically Deploying Network Protocols. In IEEE OPENARCH, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 22.Y. Yemini and S. da Silva. Towards Programmable Networks. In IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management, L’Aquila, Italy, October 1996.Google Scholar