Quality of Service in Distributed Object Systems and Distributed Multimedia Object/Component Systems
- 227 Downloads
The workshop investigated, to what extent can component technology help to enhance the quality of distributed multimedia systems. Especially, to what extent can we achieve better reuse of multimedia content, reuse of code, interoperability, portability and performance. All authors agreed upon the necessity of building distributed multimedia systems of components as opposed to monolithic systems. The granularity of the components is an open issue, it can be stated, however, that most contributors presented solutions with rather heavy-weight components. Some of the presentations required explicitly standardization of multimedia formats, both for content and meta data. Most presenters touched the topic of multimedia-aware standardized middleware. Available middleware standards still do not support to a sufficient extent techniques to provide a guaranteed quality of service, and fit thus not well to be used for distributed multimedia.
Multimedia system providers are often not interested to publish their interfaces. Thus, even if the internal design is component-oriented, the rest of the world has not much gain from this. Academic research can push openness and have a positive influence on industry.
Keywordsdistributed multimedia systems quality of service middleware component based distributed multimedia systems adaptivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Objectspace. Voyager. http://www.objectspace.com/products/voyager.
- 2.IKV++. Grasshopper 2, the agent platform. http://www.grasshopper.de.
- 3.H. Kosch, M. Döller, and L. Böszörményi. Content-based indexing and retrieval supported by mobile agent technology. In Accepted at the 2nd International Workshop on Multimedia Databases and Image Communications (MDIC 2001), Amalfi, Italy, September 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Weippl, J. Altmann, and W. Essmayer. Mobile database agents for building data warehouses. In In Proceedings of the Eleventh International Workshop on Database and Expert System Applications (DEXA), pages 477–481, Greenwich, UK, September 2001. IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Davies Z. Wang D. Black, M. Carlson and W. Weiss. Architecture for Differentiated Services. 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Clark R. Braden and S. Shenker. Integrated Services in the Internet Architecture: an overview. 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Wetherall, J.V. Guttag, and D.L. Tennenhouse. Ants: A toolkit for building and dynamically deploying network protocols. In In Proceedings of the IEEE OPENARCH’98, San Francisco, CA, USA, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Lee. On Quality of Service Management. PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, August 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.D.-Z. Du and P. M. Pardalos. Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization (Vol. 1). Kluwer Academic Press, Boston, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Frolund and J. Koistinen. Quality of service specification in distributed object systems design. In Proceedings of the 4th USENIX Conference on Object-Oriented Technologies and Systems (COOTS), Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Friedman, E. Biham, A. Itzkovitz, and A. Schuster. Symphony: Managing Virtual Servers in the Global Village. Technical Report CS0939-1998, Department of Computer Science, The Technion, Haifa, Israel, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Hölzl and L. Böszörményi. Distributed Federative QoS Resource Management. In Future Generation Computer Systems, number 16, pages 717–725, 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.C. Thompson. Workshop on compositional software architectures, 1998. Workshop Report, Monterey, California, January 6–8, http://www.objs.com/workshops/ws9801/report.html.
- 14.A. Beugnard and R. Ogor. Encapsulation of protocols and services in medium components to build distributed applications. In Engineering Distributed Objects (EDO’99), Workshop, ICSE99, Los Angeles, May 17–18, 1999.Google Scholar
- 15.Object Management Group. CORBA Components-Volume I. 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.W3C. Extensible Markup Language (XML). 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Ginige and S. Murugesan. Special issue on Web Engineering. IEEE Multimedia, 18(1 & 2), 2001.Google Scholar
- 18.Sun Microsystems Inc. Java Media Framework Guide. 1999.Google Scholar