Computing Optimal Operation Schemes for Chemical Plants in Multi-batch Mode
We propose a computer-aided methodology to automatically generate time optimal production schemes for chemical batch plants operating in multi-batch mode. Our approach is based on the following principles: (1) the plant is modeled at the level of process operations whose behavior is specified by timed automata, (2) the optimal production schemes are generated using algorithms for reachability analysis of timed automata implemented in OpenKronos, (3) the output of the verification tool is post-processed to derive high-level control code. We apply our methodology to the batch plant at the University of Dortmund. The automatically computed operation schemes turned out to be more efficient than the previously used handwritten ones.
KeywordsPartial Order Process Operation Control Architecture Operation Scheme Hasse Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. Altisen, G. Goessler, A. Pnueli, J. Sifakis, S. Tripakis, and S.Yovine. A framework for scheduler synthesis. In Proc. RTSS’99, Phoenix, AZ, USA, December 1999. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Bozga, C. Daws, O. Maler, A. Olivero, S. Tripakis, and S. Yovine. KRONOS: a model-checking tool for real-time systems. In CAV, LNCS, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Huuck. Verifying Timing Aspects of VHS Case Study 1. Tech. Report. University of Kiel, May 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.ISA S88.01 Batch Control Part I, Models and Terminology. ANSI/ISA, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Kristoffersen, K. Larsen, P. Pettersson, and C. Weise. Experimental Batch Plant-VHS Case Study 1 using Timed Automata and UPPAAL. Tech. Report, BRICS, Denmark, May 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.K.L. McMillan. Symbolic Model-Checking: an Approach to the State-Explosion problem, Kluwer, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Pnueli E. Asarin, O. Maler and J. Sifakis. Controller synthesis for timed automata. In Proc. System Structure and Control, pages 469–474. IFAC, Elsevier, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Kowalewski. Description of VHS case study 1 “Experimental Batch Plant”. Draft. University of Dortmund, Germany, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Säflund and G. Stalmarck. Modeling and verifying systems and software in propositional logic. In SAFECOMP’90, pages 31–36, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.European Project ESPRIT-LTR VHS. http://www-verimag.imag.fr/VHS.