Hybrid Controllers for Hierarchically Decomposed Systems
We consider hybrid systems consisting of a lower-level component with time-driven dynamics interacting with a higher-level component with event-driven dynamics. These typically arise in manufacturing environments where the lower-level component represents physical processes and the higher-level component represents events related to these physical processes. We formulate an optimization problem which aims at jointly optimizing the performance of both hierarchical components and present a hybrid controller for accomplishing this task. A numerical example is given to illustrate the operation of the hybrid controller.
KeywordsService Time Hybrid System Discrete Event System Hybrid Controller Arrival Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Alur, T. A. Henzinger, and E. D. Sontag, editors. Hybrid Systems. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Antsaklis, W. Kohn, M. Lemmon, A. Nerode, and S. Sastry, editors. Hybrid Systems. Springer-Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.A. E. Bryson and Y. C. Ho. Applied Optimal Control. Hemisphere Publishing Co., 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.C. G. Cassandras. Discrete Event Systems: Modeling and Performance Analysis. Irwin Publ., 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.C. G. Cassandras, Q. Liu, K. Gokbayrak, and D. L. Pepyne. Optimal control of a two-stage hybrid manufacturing system model. In Proceedings of 38th IEEE Conf. On Decision and Control, pages 450–455, Dec. 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.C. G. Cassandras, D. L. Pepyne, and Y. Wardi. Generalized gradient algorithms for hybrid system modele of manufacturing systems. In Proc. Of 37th IEEE Conf. On Decision and Control, pages 2627–2632, December 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.C. G. Cassandras, D. L. Pepyne, and Y. Wardi. Optimal control of systems with time-driven and event-driven dynamics. In Proc. Of 37th IEEE Conf. On Decision and Control, pages 7–12, December 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.C. G. Cassandras, D. L. Pepyne, and Y. Wardi. Optimal control of a class of hybrid systems. submitted for publication, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Gokbayrak and C. G. Cassandras. Stochastic optimal control of a hybrid manufacturing system model. In Proceedings of 38th IEEE Conf. On Decision and Control, pages 919–924, Dec. 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.R. L. Grossman, A. Nerode, A. P. Ravn, and H. Rischel, editors. Hybrid Systems-Vol. 736 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.D. E. Kirk. Optimal Control Theory. Prentice-Hall, 1970.Google Scholar