A European COTS Architecture with Built-in Tests
This paper presents a European approach to the development of a new industrial architecture of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software components, and a practical technology for design and implementation of test-reusable COTS. This work, known as the European COMPONENT+ project, is supported by the European 5th Framework programme and by a number of leading industrial partners in component-based software engineering.
Existing COTS architectural technologies were focused on code reuse. The following fundamental problems inherited in conventional COTS technologies have been identified: a) Low testability for end-users; b) Low maintainability for end-users; c) No support for run-time testing; and d) Separated software code and test cases.
Being oriented to the problems and challenges as identified above, this paper presents new solutions and techniques for testable COTS architecture developed in the European Component+ project, such as: a) A new technology for implementing BIT-based COTS; b) A new approach to COTS test; c) An extension of OO technology from code reuse to test reuse in COTS development; and d) A new approach to enabling COTS test at run-time. BIT components can be embedded in any conventional COTS for enabling test reuse as well as code reuse. The BIT + COST technologies have been found a wide range of applications in component-based software engineering.
KeywordsSoftware engineering component COTS architecture OO built-in tests test reuse run-time testing real-time software industrial practices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wang Y., King, G., Fayad, M., Patel, D., Court, I., Staples, G., and Ross, M.: On Built-in Tests Reuse in Object-Oriented Framework Design, ACM Journal on Computing Surveys, 32, 1es, March (200) 7–12.Google Scholar
- Wang Y., Wickberg, H. and King, G.: A Method for Built-in Tests in Component-based Software Maintenance, Proceedings of 3rd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (IEEE CSMR’99), IEEE CS Press, Amsterdam, March (1999) 186–189.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., et al.: A New Approach to Extend OO Technology with BITs in CBSE, Technical Report D2.1, The Component+ project, EU IST-1999-20162, (2001) 1–23.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., et al. (2001), Design Principles of BIT Components in CBSE, Technical Report D2.2, The Component+ project, EU IST-1999-20162, (2001) 1–53.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., King, G., Patel, D., Patel, S. and Dorling, A.: On Coping with Software Dynamic Inconsistency at Real-Time by the Built-in Tests, International Journal of Annals of Software Engineering, Baltzer Science Publishers, Oxford, 7, (1999) 283–296.Google Scholar