A Binary Color Vision Framework for Content-Based Image Indexing
We have developed an elegant and effective method for contentbased color image indexing and retrieval. A color image is first represented as a sequence of binary images each captures the presence or absence of a predefined visual feature, such as color. Binary vision algorithms are then used to analyze the geometric properties of the bit planes. The size, shape, or geometry moment of each connected binary region on the visual feature planes can then be computed to characterize the image content. In this paper, we introduce the color blob size table (C bst ) as an image content descriptor. C bst is a 2-D array that captures the co-occurrence statistics of connected regions sizes and their colors. Unlike other similar methods in the literature, C bst enables the employment of simple numerical metric measures to compare image similarity based on the properties of region segments. We will demonstrate the effectiveness of the method through its application to content-based retrieval from image database.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. M. Smeulders et al, “Content-based image retrieval at the end of the early years”, IEEE Trans PAMI, vol. 22, pp. 1349–1380, 2000Google Scholar
- 5.R. Jain, R. Kasturi and B. Schunck, Machine Vision, McGraw-Hill, 1995Google Scholar
- 6.G Qiu, “Image and image content processing, representation and analysis for image matching, indexing or retrieval and database management”, UK Patent Application No GB0103965.0, 17th, February 2001Google Scholar
- 7.M. Sonka, V. Hlavac and R. Boyle, Image Processing, Analysis and Machine Vision, 2nd Edition, PWS Publishing, 1999Google Scholar
- 9.J. Huang, et. al., “Image indexing using color correlogram”, Proc. CVPR, pp. 762–768, 1997Google Scholar
- 11.J. Arvo, Editor, Graphics Gems II, Academic Press, 1991Google Scholar
- 12.MPEG7 FCD, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, March 2001, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 13.Carson et al, “Blobworld,: A system for region-based image indexing and retrieval”, Proc. International Conference on Visual Information Systems, 1999Google Scholar
- 14.M. Jones and J. Rehg, “Statistical color models with application to skin detection”, Technical Report, Cambridge Research Laboratory, CRL/98/11, Compaq, 1998Google Scholar